Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The music must go on


It was my 6th violin lesson today and it has been an interesting learning experience so far. My teacher is very patient and more enthusiastic about my playing skills than yours truly. I love to playing the violin and feel so refreshed after every class. I am having a hard time co-ordinating the notes I see and finding the corresponding note on the string. But hey...I am trying. My order for a metronome was delivered today and it was different playing with that ticking sound. I have still not mastered 'holding' the bow and keep getting corrected every class.

I met student A in my first class. She has her class after mine and would usually come in a few minutes early with her mom. She must be a teenager and I've never heard her play although I've entertained her with my 'open note' skills. I met student B for the first time a few weeks ago and got a shock. He cannot be more than 6 years old ! He was so tiny and cute and my jaw hit the floor when I heard him play Bach. How could anyone so tiny play something so advanced?!! I was so amazed and felt so strange to be learning to play at my age. So every time I go for my class, I listen to B play and enjoy it so much.

I missed a class last week and rescheduled it for today evening. I met student C who was playing before my class. I met an 'adult' student for the first time and he was playing superb songs. C must be in his 40's and I was really happy to see an adult learning to play. My day got even better, when my class ended and I met student D. She must be around my age and she was the first person I met who was also learning to play from Wohlfart. He wrote these learning books for violin more than 100 years ago ! Anyway, coming back to D, I told her I was so happy to see an adult learning from the same book as me (beginners). She expressed similar feelings and commented about only meeting kids playing so well and giving her a complex ! We laughed and encouraged each other. Our teacher told us to just keep practising and not give up :-) .

No comments: