Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Freedom....wat is it ?

The word ' Marriage' triggers different emotions in different people. Among other things, the most common notion observed everywhere is the 'loss of freedom for a man'. It is always portrayed that the guy has everything to lose after marriage ( Ref as example my previous post). The man loses the 'freedom' that he enjoyed in his bachelor days. The man can no longer enjoy the things he liked to do; like look at other women, have booze parties, come home late...ofcourse this is only in theory as he can still continue to do whatever he feels like on the sly.

But what about the woman ? She is always shown as the one who everything to gain from marriage....but does she ? Earlier, the women were housewifes, all they had to do was to manage the home and family. The women did not have much freedom , most of the decisions were made by the husband (in theory ofcourse ;-) ). The equations have changed now, the woman has to manage a career,home and family. Marriage comes with extra baggage for her too ! And things like cooking, laundry, cleaning, phew ! And ofcourse she has to be perfect wife and not nag her husband to help her with any chores. Add kids to this picture and you see chaos all over.

So, I frankly don't see what guys are complaining about ! I think they end up with a better deal than women ! And about the so called 'loss of freedom'...well, the girl loses it too. Not all men
can be understanding if their wife tells them that she needs to get sloshed in a bar with her girl friends while hitting on other men !

Freedom is something relative. Freedom for me could be something as simple as picking a movie I would like to watch while for others it could be not picking the movie. Women of today are a lot more independent then their predecessors. They enjoy more freedom too. Hence that is something that they can lose after marriage too !

I have always been very independent and coming to the US has only made this even more intense. I am no longer answerable to anyone and do things as I please. There is no mom or dad to tell me that its time to sleep, eat or watever. No one to ask ' where are u', ' with whom are u' ... so on and so forth. This is freedom for me and I know this may not last after I get married. The husband can be a nag too ! I hope Vikram and I come to an understanding when it comes to such topics.

I guess the important thing is trust each other and be more understanding. A little love and romance might make the ride more interesting. I would like end with this thought

Love is like pi — natural, irrational, and VERY important.

No comments: