Saturday, March 22, 2008

Violin Blues


I was 10 years old when I had my first violin lesson in carnatic music. I don't really remember much about it, except that my teacher was a very patient lady. I had classes every weekend and I used to find them very boring. I stopped after a year due to reasons I don't remember now. Then, I began to learn again after when I was a teenager; this stint was longer for about 3 years. I was one of those students who was quick to learn but practiced very little. My parents always encouraged me to practice and get better at it. By now, I enjoyed playing the instrument but was still lethargic about practicing.

After a gap of a couple of years, I decided to give it my shot again. It was back to sarali varisai and the usual path; this time I reached varanams (songs). It was a good achievement for me; just because of my sheer laziness. My mother always used to say that I would miss it later and I used to be amused. I quit playing when I was in my engineering and hardly touched the instrument after that.

Fast forward a few years, I am in the US and I begin to miss playing my violin; especially when I hear any song with a violin in it. My mother was right (aren't they always?). I did think about enrolling in a class but never got around to it.

All that changed today. I went to the violin store and picked out an instrument to rent. I figured that I would start playing and then buy my own instrument later. I also found an instructor and would start my first western classical lesson in a couple of weeks. Till then, I am going to try to play all the carnatic music lessons that I can pull of the web. I am very excited about playing a violin again. It would be interesting to learn a different style of playing.

I only hope my neighbors don't complain :-)

4 comments:

rads said...

That's fantastic that you've found your love again. Western I believe is a bit different compared to ours, but it's all music, in teh end anyway. The thing is you picked this up voluntarily - that makes all the difference :)


Moms are uncannily right! ;-)

SK said...

:--) Yeh, you too!
My attempts to properly learn an instrument in the US has proved futile more than once, so given up.
Good luck to you! :--))
>>Fast forward a few years, I am in the US and I begin to miss playing my violin; especially when I hear any song with a violin in it.
The regret is always there, wish I had learnt better :--(

Jaya said...

You know I used to learn Carnatic Violin as a kid/teenager. My mom would keep pursuing me but I did not listen. After years, I started learning western classical and love it. What are you learning? Suzuki?

Check this out, if interested

http://talloakroad.blogspot.com/2007/12/for-your-ears-only.html

Shilpa said...

Rads,
Ah yes thats true, my mom was very happy when I told her that I was going to start playing again :-)

SK,
Lets see what happens to my attempt here :-)

Joy,
That was really inspiring ! My classes have not started yet...its not suzuki method; supposed to be traditional...lets see how it turns out.