Tuesday, August 01, 2006

That is familiar !

On my first day in Dubai, V took me to the desi grocery store in the evening. There were stores everywhere ! The city has stunning buildings and lighting. And it is undoubtedly the Shopping Capital of the World. I will write about the malls and stores in another post.

So, anyway coming back to my story. We came out of Choitram, the grocery store, and my eyes fell on a coffee shop on the opposite side of the road. It was 'Second Cup' ! Imagine my surprise. I had seen this coffee shop chain Canada just a few months ago. I had not even seen it in US and here it was ! I was very curious to see if it was the same chain. So, the next evening, V and I went to have coffee. It was the same ! But they did not have the maple latte. Instead they had more cold beverages ( made sense as it was in Dubai).

Then on subsequent trips to the grocery store, I even found many brands that I use in the US. For example, my breakfast is still Quaker oats ! Ragu pasta sauce is available here. So, are Milano chocolate cookies ! There is so much more variety here for food products. But food products are a lot more expensive compared to US.

Starbucks is a familiar sight everywhere. Here are some more stores that were familiar
( NOT including those that are european and common in India)


* Cold Stone creamery
* McDonalds
* Burger King
* Chilies
* Tony Roma's
* Cinnabon
* Haagen Daz
* Subway

* Gap
* Old Navy
* Banana Republic
* Claires
* Forever 21
* Columbia
* Timberland
* Liz Clairborne

Famous stores like Guess, Nike, DKNY, Levis, Hugo Boss, Polo, MAC, Dockers, Espirit, Diesel, Calvin Klein, Benetton, Elle, etc are there in most of the malls !

Needless to say, I was quite surprised !

11 comments:

Shilpa said...

Rahul,
I think so ! Ennakum ore confusion daan...its like being in a very posh India but have many things that remind me of US ! I think 75% of the population here are Indians !

Ginkgo said...

why would these stores not be there?
Is Dubai on another planet..or Arabs soo kaatumirandis...that all these are too luxurious for them...:-)

Paavam, if any of the locals hear it...they might punish u with 50 whip lashes..:P

Shilpa said...

Ginkgo,
Its not about ' y shd it not be there'...its abt ' wow this is also here' :)

BZ said...

Hey Shilpa, Yeah I know it is kind of strange and exciting when you see something familiar in an alian land ;--)

I was excited to see Gap in London.

And I am surprised Dubai has the three Gap stores, K said they were there only in US and Europe. Interesting.

And I guess Dubai must be full of Mallus?

Prabhu said...

Cold stone creamery?
I thought that was a small potti kadai in lexington. Now, I am surprised its a biiggggg chain...
Forever 21???!! - nallaa peru vekkarangappa...

Shilpa said...

SK,
I was sooo happy to see Gap cos there was finally a store where I knew my size...! Most of the stores here are European and have a different scale and it takes a while to figure out the sizes ! I was also surprised to see all the three stores here !
Yup its full of Mallus..! Malyalam is the unofficial language here !

Prabhu,
yeah even i was surprised to see cold stone...Forever 21 reflects the mindset of (ahem) young women :P

Prasanna said...

blink! blink! blink!

Archana said...

I was very surprised to see brands like St. Ives and Bath & Body works in India (albeit at high prices). This time in Chennai, I saw the announcement for the opening of a Tommy Hilfiger store (or it was Ralph Lauren - don't recall)!

So I don't find it that surprising that, Dubai, being the huge shopping paradise and all has all well-known brands too :-D!

Shilpa said...

Prasanna,
:) :) :)

Archu,
Yeah thats true..I was expecting some familiar stores but was quite happy to see soo many :)

Vivhyd said...

The closest I have been to Dubai is the airport for a transit flight. Hopefully I will visit Dubai sometime. Most in my family have but I havent

Shilpa said...

Vivek,
well other than malls...there is not much to see !