Sunday, July 30, 2006

Ibn Batuta



V : Lets goto Ibn Batuta.
Me: Duh...whats that ? A restaurant ?
V: No, its a mall.
Me: Oh. What a strange name !

It turned out that the mall was named after a person called 'Ibn Batuta'. Ibn Batuta was a famous Arab traveller from the 14th century. He was born in Morocco in 1304 ( thank you google). He set out to go on the Hajj and toured many countries for more than 25 years before returning home. He wrote a travelogue called 'Rihla' with all his encounters. I was totally fascinated by his travels.

Batuta had visited China, Andalucia ( part of Spain occupied by Muslims), Constantinople, Baghdad, Persia, Tunisia, Mali , Ethiopia, Egypt, India, Sri Lanka and many other places.








India
was ruled by Mohammed bin Tughlaq - Sultanate of Delhi ( remember those history chapters? ) when Batuta visited India. Tughlaq was an eccentric King ( he was the one who moved the capital from Delhi to a place in the Deccan and forced the entire population of Delhi to move as well). Batuta was employed by Tughlaq after which they had a misunderstanding and Batuta had to flee the country.





How did I know so much about Ibn Batuta ? Why, the mall ofcourse !
This mall has been designed to reflect Batuta's travels.

It has 6 theme zones inspired by the places visited by Batuta - China, India, Persia, Egypt, Tunisia and Andalusia. So, V and I went about taking pictures and reading about his travels. The mall is beautiful ! There were tons of stores but for a change, I did not visit any and kept myself occupied with the beauty of the mall.


Each court was done very well. I simply loved the ceilings in each court.

They were very creative !











The China court had a huge ship and lots of other decoration. India court had some people riding the elephant, an ancient clock and a band. The Persia court had a stunning dome ! It was the most beautiful among the other courts ! It looked so grand ! The Egypt court had many paintings on the ceiling, walls and pillars. The Tunisia court had blue ceiling which looked awesome and finally the Andalusia court had a big lion fountain. The mall was not only beautiful but also very educational.

If you are visiting Dubai - this place is a must see !!


Ibn Batuta Mall - The world under one roof !

14 comments:

Archana Bahuguna said...

Vow! thats really a wonder :-)Looks very beautiful and as you say creative! Ibn Batuta ..hmm..the only thing I remembered when I saw your blog title was that I have heard this name in History ... interesting to know there is a mall dedicated to him. And pls carry on with your Dubai journal :-) its like tourism education for the likes of me.

And btw have a personal question if I may ask ... have you left US for good or are you going to come back for some time?

Shilpa said...

Archana,
Yes its a very interesting mall ...u shd visit this place when u come here in Dec ! More stories to follow :-)
I am coming back for Fall semester and would graduate...but after that...I don't know :-P
So as of now...just globe trotting :D

ashok said...

wow...wonderful info...wil make sure to visit the place !

Prasanna said...

hey that is a lot of interesting history...

Ginkgo said...

lolz..the moment I saw that name..I thought I'd heard it somewhere..:-)

Therz this stage play by Cho Ramaswamy...called Mohammad Bin Tuqlaq..avery very popular play that was re enacted and even videod several times...
As u said, Tuglaq was this eccentric king that kept boasting abt how easy it was for him to dupe his subjects and the guy he often boasted to was Batuta...:-D

so howz sun god treating u in dubai:-)

Prabhu said...

Looks like you really enjoyed 'Batura' so much that you forgot to include the shopping escapades inside the mall :)

Shilpa said...

Ashok,
As an architect...u will love this place...try visiting it sometime !

Prasanna,
If only history was taught to us like this...we may hv actually enjoyed it !!!

Ginkgo,
Sounds like a fun play ! Wish I could watch it !! God is being kind to me :-)

Prabhu,
As I mentioned in the post - I din't shop...I just enjoyed the decor of the mall :)

BZ said...

wow Shilpa, good history, and the mall sounds a lot of fun!!
I was reminded of the Aladdin Hotel in Vegas for some reason :-)

Hope you are having a great time with dear Hubby.

kuttichuvaru said...

well, sounds like fun!! but I wud hav difficulties rite frm pronouncing the name of this place :-)

Archana said...

Looks like an awesome place!! Have fun :-)!

Shilpa said...

SK,
Yes I am having a great time...enjoying while it lasts :-)

Kutti,
Its very easy to pronounce...! It goes 'eben - batuta '

Archana,
:) Thank you !

Rahul,
Hey welcome back buddy...r u in blr ? or mdr ?

gP said...

its big! yes it is!

Shilpa said...

GP,
yeah its big...but I think some malls r bigger !

Balaji S Rajan said...

Narrations about your trip to the mall is super and definitely I shall mark it to visit next time when I visit Dubai.