Thursday, July 20, 2006

How hot is too hot ?

Well that depends on which side of the building you are !

I was blog hopping and realised many people are complaining about the Summer. It was really hot in Texas when I was there in June. I thought, coming to Dubai would not be such a big deal as the temperature here was only slightly higher. How wrong I was.

My first day in Dubai was really hot. I came out of the air-conditioned airport to get a cab and felt as though I was standing in an oven. Within seconds, I was feeling so sticky thanks to the humidity. I was thankful to get into the cab. That evening, I ventured out and it was bearable.

Then V took me to his work place in the weekend. As I am a shutter-bug, I wanted to take pictures near an artificial lake in that area. I was trying to focus the scene when everything looked really foggy. I din't understand. I

panicked thinking my camera had some problem because it was a really clear day with no sight of fog anywhere. Then I saw that the lens was fogged. What the hell !! I wiped it and took another picture, which was a little better. But within a few seconds, the lens was fogged again ! It was so hot and humid there that it was not possible to even take pictures ! Here are the two pictures with fogging effect and slightly less fogging effect.


Cameras are not the only thing affected - even sunglasses have the same problem ! I wore my glasses for a few minutes after which I could not see anything clearly ! It reminded me of the glasses fogging up during winters...I did not know that it can happen in Summer too !

Its more than 42 C here with very high humidity. Its so hot that even though the house has air-conditioning, the walls radiate heat ! Yesterday night, we went to the nearby store and I thought that my flip-flops would melt !! Well, if you are in a concrete jungle inside a desert, this is something expected i suppose. The locals tell me that it would only get hotter here and peaks in August. I seem to have come at the perfect time !

12 comments:

Prabhu said...

42 deg C???
thats scorching hot!!!

A piece of advice - dont venture too much into the sun, lest u lose ur color :)

Shilpa said...

Prabhu,
err-- thats why they have sunscreen :-P

Rahul,
Heyyy I heard abt ur nice apt from vasa just now. Hope ur weekend plans work out !

just to remind u -- it is 101 F without taking into account the humidity - then the avg temp is around 110 F !!! ( imagine what the max temp would be )

Vivhyd said...

Its hot everywhere - US, Europe, Dubai... It was very hot in the NorthEast too with high humidity levels making it feel even hotter.. cant beat Phoenix though as it was 117F scorcher.. 46-47C.. :)

Archana said...

Yeah, I concur with Rahul - 42C is not terribly bad. I think even dear old Chennai has seen such temperatures (with humidity!). I am eagerly waiting for your comments in August :-D!

Syam said...

looks like u don't stop venturing though u r in a frying pan... :-)

Ginkgo said...

Enzoy...
but then...while in Gulf...If some guy looks at u and says 'U r hot..

mebbe u wud want to take it literally..:-)
and return the 'compliment' with a sizzling' as an adjective..;-)

Ginkgo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Archana Bahuguna said...

Beautiful pics .. you can use the climate to ur advantage and boast that those are your photography skills :-) :-) (although your photography skills are good :-)).

And btw I am all ears 2 ur Dubai commentary, coz my sis-in-law stays there and we plan to visit in winters.

ps: Good luck with the weather! :-)

Prasanna said...

ha! finally i am able to comment after all the halla gulla about Blog bans...

hey ur post reminds me of chennai's scorching heat, but 42C is too much ma!

Thanu said...

CA is also too hot.. this weekend its going to be like 100F +

Shilpa said...

Vivek,
Ahh sadly...the temp here is fast approaching AZ stds :-(

Archu,
Hmm yday it reached 45 C without taking into acct humidity...they say it will reach 50 C soon !!!!

Syam,
well ... its hard not to go out and see places :-)

Gingko,
I shd hv expected that comment from u !

Archana,
Thank u Thank u !
Oh u r planning to visit here ? Well, my comments abt Dubai and life here shd give u some pointers !

Prasanna,
yipee...welcome bk !

Thanu,
Maybe its a sign of global warming !

ashok said...

good pics...cool urself with a nannari sarbeth :)