Friday, May 05, 2006

Sivananda Camp





I was up late last night studying for a test today; but the test was cancelled and will be on Monday instead. Sigh. Time to blog. hehehhe.

This post is a trip down memory lane. My parents visited my in-laws last week and one of the topics was about my childhood. My dad told them stories of a camp that I had attended when I was a little over 5 years old. I simply loved the place. Here is my recollection of the same.

This was the first time I was going to a Summer Camp. It was a month-long program held in Neyyar Dam, near Trivandrum, Kerala. It was organized by Sivananda Yoga Kendra ( HO Canada). My cousins V and K ( a year older than me) were also sent to the camp. I should speak to them and see what they remember about this trip.

Anyway, like most memories, I only remember certain details. The place was beautiful. It was beside a lake. There were cottages for different groups. There was a main prayer hall where yoga was taught. There was a fixed schedule daily. I think the day began early with prayers, yoga, breakfast, some classes, lunch, resting time, bath in the lake, reading time, etc. I started reading comics from here. I got pretty good at yoga asanas but sadly did not pursue it and forgot them soon. My first exposure to spirituality and related topics was also here.

The food...hmm...I don't really remember much about it. All I remember are the fat dosas. I have never seen such thick dosas in my life. Yuck. We were allowed to buy one item from the market every week. I don't recall having money to buy anything except chocolates. I remember asking V and K to buy me biscuits. The girls and boys did not interact much and so I did not really get a chance to speak a lot to them during the stay. I remember V hiding biscuit packets and smuggling them to me. As I was the kid sister, I think they took it as a responsibility to take care of me.

The girls slept in a big cottage. We all had one steel cot each with mattress. We could see the lake from the window. There was greenery everywhere. We could not use footwear. We had to walk on pebbles and it hurt a lot. But I got used to it after a while. The restroom was nothing but a hole dug in the ground with a hut around it !! Eeeks. Every evening, we would go down to the lake and swim. I din't know swimming, so I think, I just stayed close to the banks. It was fun to just be in the water.

We had classes everyday. We were taught by Canadian monks and Indian monks as well. I was one of the youngest in the camp and got pampered by the teachers. There was a dog who used to keep running around and I used to play with him. I think I even tried to feed him the dosas (hehehehe). There was an old lady who used to just sit and look at the children. She looked weird and used to keep muttering. I was terrified with her ears. She had one of those big ear lobes. Thinking back, its so funny.

We used to have a lot of fun and games. I remember playing treausre hunt. We also had camp-fires on the river bank. All the kids used to gather around the fire and sing. We had firecrackers one night. Also remember going on a hike to rubber plantations. I also took part in some dance on the last day. I had to dance with some doll for a malayalam song. The camp ended quickly and it was time to go back home.

I asked my parents to send me again next summer. But somehow that never happened.

I did a google search today and found the website for the Org. It turns out to be a real big organization. They have ashrams all over the world ! I felt so happy looking at it. Maybe I can finally visit Sivananda Camp again ( Maybe the one in the Himalayas this time - which is in a cave). Click the link for more info.

15 comments:

Prabhu said...

You were only 5 and you could remember so much?
"There was a dog who used to keep running" -- no wonder! you keep feeding the fat dosas to the poor thing and what else will it do? :)

Shilpa said...

Madsies,
I am alive, all exams will be done by wednesday; so mes happy just thinking abt that :-)

Prabhu,
LOL abt the dog comment...yeah no wonder he was always running arnd...im sure other kids did the same stunt too :-)
Hmm I remember so much only because I had tons of fun :-P

Archana said...

Hey I did not know abt this camp thingy of yours!! Looks like you had good fun :-)! LOL @ Prabhu's explanation for the dog's behavior!

BZ said...

wow Shilpa, its amazing how you can remember all this stuff :) But I know, some incidents are etched in heart somehow, nice to hear of such things. :)

And great to know Exams are going to be behind you soon. Means more time to blog! :)

Shilpa said...

Archana,
Looks like we will have "new" topics to talk abt...I don't think I have told u abt my camping escapades :-P

Rahul,
No it was not utthappam...I dont really remember anyways...watever it was...it was not too tasty !

SK,
Even I am surprised that I remember so much :-)
Yes I will lots of time soon :-D

ashok said...

interesting memories..!

Archana Bahuguna said...

You really have an elephant memory! I think I just remember a few scenes of my life till I was 6-7, all single-scene shots. After that, yes I have good memories.

Anyways, your description of the old woman with big earlobes is funny. Its nice to read your blog through the eyes of a small child.

kuttichuvaru said...

nyabagam varuthe, nyabagam varuthe.....

pokkishamaaga nenjil puthaintha ninaivugal ellaam nyabagam varuthe.....

Vivhyd said...

never been to any camp myself but was a nice read.. u do have very good memory to remember things so far back.. all the best for ur exams..

Ginkgo said...

hmm...never been @ a camp for more than a day....

seems a pretty ' interesting' place...aint it;)

Shilpa said...

Ashok,
Thanks !

Archana,
I remember only this camp...then there is a long void..I guess I really liked the place and so remember :)

Kutti,
Is it a song ? :-)

Vivek,
Thanks for the wishes...I need lots esp for the exam tomorrow...which strangely requires me to remember a lot of formulae :-P

Gingko,
Most of the camps I've been to have been a lot of fun :-)

kuttichuvaru said...

yup, it is a song frm Autograph!! ur GK is very poor, he he.....

Prasanna said...

Hey sorry I am rather late for the commenting band wagon...better late than never...

Nice post and me too surprised like Archu, have never heard u speak abt this camp.

rads said...

I know only of a sivananda ashram down the road where we lived in Nungambakkam. Mom continues to go there occasionally, but yours sounds fun.
Lake, Kerala, alone when you were just 5 years old! Wow!

Shilpa said...

Kutti,
My knowledge of movies is worse heheheh

Prasanna,
Yup it was long long ago :-P

Rads,
Yeah this camp/ashram was a lot of fun.