Thursday, June 08, 2006

Incidents on 6 - 6 - 6

I was woken up in the wee hours of the morning on June 6th by my aunt. C-12 had fallen sick and had to be rushed to the hospital. My uncle took her while I went back to sleep. I was leaving back to US that day and had a lot of errands to do; I figured that since my flight was in the evening, I had plenty of time.

One of the first things I do as soon as I wake up is check mails. I opened my yahoo account and for some reason my password did not work. This was my primary id. I decided to open my secondary id to see if this was a problem in all ids. I could login into this account. Now, I began to panic. I tried a few more times before the word verification started. Then, I tried to retreive my password, as expected it said data mismatch. Someone had hacked into my account and changed all the information !!! I was wondering what to do when my aunt told me all of us were going to the hospital and that I had to pack and be ready in an hour. I mailed yahoo and told them the situation, got ready, packed in a rush and was ready to leave.
C-12 was doing fine but had to wait for a really long time to see the doctors. So, my uncle could not drop me off to the airport and I told them I would just take a cab. I told them I would leave early as the security had been beefed up after some terrorists were caught in Toronto. The cab ride was uneventful.

I got my boarding pass and was informed that the immigration for USA would be done in Canada itself. There was a long line for the immigration and I stood wondering how bad this was going to be. The instant I started talking to the officer, I calmed down. It was good to do small talk after 2 weeks (no one did any small talk in canada) and he even helped me fill out some forms.

I was a little early for my flight but din't mind it at all. After getting something to eat, I settled down with my ipod and was almost dozing off when they announced that my flight was delayed ! I was annoyed. Just then, I realised someone was staring at me. She was the cutest kid I had ever seen ! Elizabeth was 2 years old; she had blonde hair and blue eyes; wore a frock, stockings and cute shoes. She was so adorable with chubby cheeks and a cute smile. She soon started playing with me and my mood was completely cheered up and I forgot all about the delayed plane.

I finally reached Texas, K came to pick me up. I was so happy to be back home ! We went to IHOP and chatted for sometime. I came home and checked my email again. No luck. My account had surely been hacked. Now, comes the painful process of collecting as many ids as possible and letting everyone know about my change of address too. Sigh !

All this was on 6th, then to cheer myself I went to the bath and body works semi-annual sale yesterday. Ahh paradise ! I went crazy and bought quite a few things. Tried some new flavors and looks like I've to go back and get some more. Hehehehe.

13 comments:

Prabhu said...

Haa! you seem to have a luck to get into all these situations. And I was hoping to read ur misadventure while returning to the US ;)
Yahoo password? so that X hacker changed ur "secret question" as well?
Thats such a pain, to lose ur primary id...
06-06-06 realy caught u.

Shilpa said...

well by now u must be knowing that i m very *lucky* and get into all kinds of situations.

Yeah yahoo acct messed up...and i heard that some more ppl hv been affected. yahoo is not being too helpful either.

Archana said...

B & B sale!! I have to wait till the weekend :-(!

Poor you, your yahoo account gone :-(! But I like your new gmail id better :-D!

Prasanna said...

yes, Kids are great stress busters!But they have to be somebody else's ...;0)

Archana Bahuguna said...

U had some experience on the 6 6 6 ... thankfully for me the day came and went without realizing that it was the devil's day :-) Only when I was reading on the net on 7th June, I realized that "yest" was 6 6 6 :-).

Anyways ... have fun with the Bath and body works stuff u bought.. the devil left u with something good at least at the end of the day. ;-)

Ginkgo said...

lolz u ran out of alphabets..eh
and now naming ppl with no.s...:-))
good going keep it up:P


Btw, the prev post on the banking thingie just got me reminded of that beautiful girl, in Canada, when I went to change currency :-)

guess, some CBCD, I had to do the circuitous way of flirting with her friend first, at the counter, to get her talking...

guess it was worth it though ;)

kuttichuvaru said...

yeah this email being locked can be painful!! been thro tat!! gud luck!!

BZ said...

Hey Shilpa,
I have lost a Yahoo account to this hacking once a few years back, yes it is painful. :--(
So are planning to watch the movie? ;--))

Syam said...

So finally you came back after a wonderful trip....good luck with your yahoo acc :-)

Rajesh said...

I have heard that movie isn't that great a sequel for the original!!!!

Agreed it was coincidental that all these happened to you on 6-6-6, but for a hapless soul like me it need not be a 6-6-6 for such things to occur to me...they occur every now and then...that is a part of my life...;-)....

lets hope these things dont reccur for u...!!!

Shilpa said...

Archu,
my only grouse is that i lost a lot of mail ids that i cannot retrieve :-(

Prasanna,
LOL...i agree

Archana,
well 6-6-6 was just mere coincidence !

Gingko,
well u r lucky...if u met the same crazy lady that we did...you would have stopped going to banks :-P

Kutti,
thanx...

SK,
wat movie ?

Syam,
the acct is as good as gone :-(

Rajesh,
wat movie ?
I din't mean that all this happened cos it was 6-6-6...as such things always mess up for me :-)

Rajesh said...

Shilpa,
I meant the movie, The Omen, which released on 6-6-06, it was just a fact presentation, like what you did, u weren't trying to draw any inferences that all those happened because of 6-6-6, rite??? the same way the movie's mention was OT(out of the topic)....:-)

Shilpa said...

Rajesh,
Now I got wat u meant...since I din't directly mention the movie in my post...I got a little confused.