Monday, June 05, 2006

The Scotia Bank incident

Both A and I did not have Canadian currency and were looking out for a place to convert currency. After walking for a while on Queens Rd, we finally spotted Scotia Bank. It had ATM too. So, A decided to draw some money while I decided to convert US Dollars.


I was just getting the money when I heard a loud noise. It came from the ATM machine. Oh o...now what ! Both A and C-8 gave me a sheepish grin. I saw a big spill of orange juice.C-8 had spilt the bottle of Orange juice that she was drinking. C-8 said ' sorry, I don't know what happened'. I saw a lady go and talk to them. In the meantime, I got the money and told the guy at the counter about the spill. He was very sweet and said ' Don't worry about it, I'll clean it up'.

Then A and C-8 came to where I was standing. A looked very annoyed. She then told me that the lady had asked them to clean up the mess. I told A that the guy at the counter said it was ok and that he would clean it up. Just then the mean lady walked up to us and gave us paper towels to clean up the mess !! She came with a trash can too !!!

I was hopping mad and wanted to tell something real nasty to her. But I din't. We cleaned up the mess while C-8 stood with a sad face. I cooled down thinking that Scotia Bank was probably too poor to employ Janitors. I guess that is why they don't train their employees on customer service or even politeness !

One thing is for sure...I would never go inside that Bank again !

14 comments:

Archana said...

I would never go inside that Bank again

Ditto to that! Those poor bank-folks could do without spillers spoiling their floors ;-)!

But you know, here is sth to think about - when I was telling V abt this incident, he asked me how come we did not decide to go back to the bank because of the nice male employee who did offer to clean up on our behalf?

Strange na - we always seem to remember bad things much better than good things :-)!

Vivhyd said...

hehe... so many incidents in a 2 week tour huh.. i was in scotia bank sometime last oct.. for the visa interview challan.. and i thght they were pretty friendly.. infact a lady helped my frnd.. as he had forgotten a slip.. which was needed.. and if i am not wrong i think i went to the exact branch.. not sure thgh..

rads said...

hehe, that's actually quite weird. Asking clients to clean up behind them, especially in a customer-driven location. I'd have just said "i'm so sorry, you know how it is with kids' and walk away... maybe on second thots, all this is just talk. I'd probably end feeling extremely guilty, and do what you guys did! ;-))

Shilpa said...

Archana,
Well the ans to V's q is that the male employee did not intervene and let us off..he just watched all the action...and so thats as good as guilty for me.

Vivek,
not all will be weirdos ofcourse.
but since i burnt my fingers...i m not going there again.

Rads,
Long time no see...how r u ?
Yeah those folks were strange indeed. and since we're not used to taking care of kids...i guess we just obliged and cleaned up the mess :-P

Prasanna said...

How do u manage to get into all kinds of situations...very interesting!

ashok said...

poor u...this doent even happen in India

BZ said...

I still cant believe they asked you to clean up behind you. But I guess its ok. I would have probably cleaned up behind me too. How old is C-8? :--) 8?

Shilpa said...

Prasanna,
u know me and my rotten luck...hence all the adventures.

Ashok,
This dosent happen even in US !

SK,
Yes she's my cousin and shes 8...hence the name C-8 !!!

Prabhu said...

The bank's looks kind of nice from outside. Dont know about the people inside though :)

I think you should have talked to the janitor, and somehow I feel you would have been let off, the janitor probably thought A was too soft and she bullied her :)

Anyways, canada poi idhellam pananum nu irukku. :)

kuttichuvaru said...

pretty eventful n adventurous trip, huh!!

Archana Bahuguna said...

Ya, read at Archana's too, unheard of and pretty pathetic - those bank guys.
Thanks for sharing the name of the bank. :-)

Archana Bahuguna said...

And nice pics (including the previous blogs).. near the beach and all .. hair flowing with the wind etc ...

Thanu said...

looks like u and archana had loads of fun :)

Shilpa said...

Prabhu,
where did the janitor come from ?
the mean lady we're talking abt works there as staff !
and this is not the same *branch* where the incident occured.
I took a pic of this bank in downtown another day.

Kutti,
yup, we sure did !

Archana,
thanx !

Thanu,
yes we did.