Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Is this my threshold ?

I was standing in the queue for security check when I last saw him. I turned around and saw him smiling and waving at me. My family was there and they were all waving me good bye. I could feel the tears swelling up as I tried to muster some courage to give them a smile. I looked back one last time and went inside the terminal. I headed towards the line for check-in with tears flowing down my cheeks. It did not stop even after the plane took off. I must have been a sight. After my usual set of misadventures, I was finally back to my life here, so far away from my loved ones.

I was soon looking forward to my spring break to be with V. School kept me busy. Very busy. I started blogging about the wedding. Soon, I realised that it made me miss V even more. So I stopped thinking and writing about it. Long distance relationships teaches a lot of lessons in many aspects. As V traveled a lot, it was difficult to even call each other ( my phone bills have never been less than 3 digits in a long time). Somehow hearing his voice even if it was just less than a minute made my day. I was strong girl according to many....But how long can I hold up ?

Soon, I realised that meeting V for just spring break was not going to work out. I was very depressed. I feel sick. Lost interest in school and research work. The girl who could not-stop-smiling suddenly looked like a tragedy queen. Then I bounced back to almost-normal after a while. It was always about distraction - I started planning my Canada trip.

Then sometime in the end of April, my professor gave me permission to take a break in summer and visit my husband ( I guess he could not bear looking at my sad face anymore). So, I told V to apply for a visa. There were many hurdles and confusion...But I told myself that I would be with him in May. I realised soon that I was mistaken as there was further delay. So, I decided to take a long break in Canada.

Now I am back, there is still no sign of the visa. My moods have become worse as I seem to get more depressed. I have kept in touch with fewer friends. I seem to be talking lesser to everyone. As I look back, I realised how much more silent I have become for a person who cannot stop chattering. I seemed to have a lot of enthu, which is so unlike me. How did I become like this ? Have I reached my threshold ?

You've waited for so many years, just manage for a few more weeks.
This logic does not work. I think its harder to be fine for just a few weeks; its like standing in a queue - when you start by standing at the back, you feel fresh and energetic; as you inch towards the end at by moving forward, you only feel more frustated and annoyed.

Long distance is not new to me. I've managed to sail through more turbulent times. But, I was probably stronger then. I've learnt to avoid and not think about V when I go out, when I shop, when I eat out, when I am at home, when I am watching a sad/happy movie...And then there are times when I just cannot bear it...And out comes a torrid of tears. V is always strong and would console me.

We will see each other soon
, he says. How soon, I would wail.

And now...I wait, as always, just to be with him. Tried to distract myself with a lot of other things...Yet I cannot get over it this time. Every conversation I have with him, ends up with me bursting into tears. I know the wait will be over soon and I will be with him. I've been crying for the last couple of hours. V called to console me but I had no control over my tears. I hang up and continue crying.

I feel so empty inside....Oh God...Give me strength.

p.s. wrote this post at 3am. did not publish it. woke up today morning feeling a little better and made a decision to get away from here.

30 comments:

Syam said...

same with me too when I left India, but the difference is unga family ungala piriyarathu nenaichu crying, in my case appada tholainjaan nu aanandha kaneer :-)

Archana said...

You poor thing :-(. Don't worry yaar, innum konja naal thaan - chin up. Mudhala book your tickets - then you can start on your shopping. Before you know, you will be with V.

Amaam, I can sense that you are totally depressed - you don't sound like the S I know - cheer up, girlie - better times will be here soon!

Prasanna said...

oh my god! these are the most depressing words I have ever heard from you....don't worry!

sweetie...Remember that if you are going thro' such hard times sweeter times are just awaiting you...

Shilpa said...

Syam,
hehehehe....when i leave tx...my roomies hv the same reaction :-P

Arch,
Thanks da...I m feeling much better after making that big dent in my cc. heheheh.

Prasanna,
yeah i know...this is so NOT me...nyways looks like I may c u soon :-)

Vivhyd said...

Cheer up shilpa.. u know that good days are just around the corner.. its frustrating alrite but it can only get better.. u have come so far.. so the hard part is over.. its much better to wait when u knw its just a little time away than the wait after u just parted.. A few more weeks and than for the rest of ur life u can bug V and vice-versa.. :p

Krish said...

Sheegrameva Vikramoda Serndirasthu!

:-)

kuttichuvaru said...

cheer up!! I knw its a tuf time u r goin thro, but jus keep ur spirits up for the upcoming days!! Take Care!!

Prabhu said...

My prayers with you to get the visa and travel soon :)
And post us happily when you are about to leave to meet V.

I guess ur post has put us in a depression mode :(

Prabhu said...

Madsies -- very well said. I concur totally :)

Shilpa said...

Vivek,
Thanks for the words of encouragement !

Thennavan,
Nandri !

Kutti,
Thanks ! I hope I shall be my normal self soon.

Prabhu,
Thanks for the prayers ! I din't mean to depress anyone...just poured out my feelings thats all.

Madsies,
I guess I just had to feel *low* and then bounce back ! Thanks for ur wishes !

Shilpa said...

UPDATE :

Well I decided to wait in India for the visa instead of waiting here. Paid an insane amount for a tkt next week !
I feel sooo much better knowing that I will be with my mom next week :-))

BZ said...

Oh Shilpa,
Feel like giving you a hug.

And grrrreat to know that you are going to India next week, but not so great to know the ticket cut a hole in your pocket. :--)

Hope and wish you guys start living together as soon as possible. :--))

First 6 months after wedding, spent in separation, is a big thing, and you have the right to feel bad, little lady. Dont worry.

Archana Bahuguna said...

hey, have a safe trip, hope u get ur visa soon and bounce back to your high spirits! wishes ..

Vivhyd said...

shilpa.. i guess i missed somethig.. wht visa r u waiting for? i didnt get that.. anyways have a gr8 time.. as for tkts.. next time.. do ask me if u need any tickts.. I have quite a few agents who offer good prices.. but thts ok since u already booked.. Have fun..

Vivhyd said...

i meant.. i knw quite a few agents.. not as stated.. :)

Rajesh said...

I bet you would feel much better after making this post and hearing people's comforting statements...so you should be lighter by a few tonnes now...so dont fly off (being lighter as you would be now)...and wait for the flight to take you!!!...


All the best, have the best of times..:-)

Shilpa said...

SK,
Thats so sweet of u ! Thanks :-)
Abt the tkt...well i don't really care much abt the cost at this point...nyways V said he will pay for it hehehehe

Archana,
Thanks ! New look ? I like it :-)

Vivek,
Visa to Dubai to visit my husband ( he works there). That is delayed and hence I'm kinda going nuts. I already bought the tkt thanx for the offer.

Rajesh,
Yes u r right...felt a lot better just writing abt it. And I feel better after hearing everyone's wishes too :-)
Thanks !

ashok said...

same feeling for anyone living abroad and alone...i felt the same way in Kabul

Chandrashekar said...

Ohhhhh I am worried about Vikram now...!!! Even he would be in the same state but with whom he will share his feelings...

Prabhu said...

Wow! Off to India??
It makes sense too, that way you have to wait only 4 hours to fly to Dubai :)

And being in India is bliss :)
Dont get pampered!

Archana said...

Prabhu - what's the point of going to India if you don't get pampered :-D!!

Shilpa said...

Ashok,
yes its awful to be away :-(

Shekar,
yeah u r right...yaru illa...paapa...

Prabhu,
Its actually only 3 hrs from BLR hehehe. wat do u mean 'don't pamper urself'...like Archana said...wats the whole point of an India trip without pampering !!

Arch,
hehehe

Prabhu said...

I actually meant - Dont get pampered too much!

I remember my last India trip when they pampered me for the first 20 days, and then the last 20 days - neighbors n relatives were like "When are you leaving??".

thats when i decided india trips should be short :)

Thanu said...

I know what u r going through, Shekar and I did the long distance thing for 4 months, but I stayed home with parents, so felt little better.

Have a safe trip

Chandrashekar said...

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

Vinesh said...

Onraai koodum
Onraai paadum
PonnaaL ingu ennaaLO...

Shilpa said...

Prabhu,
I know wat u mean ! Since I was just in India for the wedding...ppl would be like 'wat ? u r back already? ' heheheh...nyways my parents are very thrilled with my sudden trip...and I hope to goto Dubai soon....

Shekar,
Err can I infer that u r trying to remind me of myself :-P

Vinesh,
sorry ennaku onnumei purilei..wat is it ?

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

secont thennavan...
V praapthirasthu :D
plus wait makes it more sweeter :)

have fun

Archana Bahuguna said...

time for next post :-)

Shilpa said...

Vijay,
Thanks saar !!

Archana,
Jo hukum madam !