Friday, April 14, 2006

Happy Vishu



Happy New Year ! Today is Tamil New Year and also Vishu for keralites. I miss home and all the goodies for New Year. Most of all, I miss the Vishu kani.

Vishu is always my favorite festival simply because it is so beautiful. I would always look forward to it each year. It is believed that the first day of the new year is auspicious and so the first thing that is seen on the new year should be good. Then, the rest of the year would be good too. My dad would set up the 'kani' the previous night. It is a decoration of flowers, fruits, rice, lamps and many other things. The kani is always beautiful to look at, the oil lamps would be the only light and the puja room would be decorated.

My father would wake me up early in the morning and lead me to the Puja room. My eyes are supposed to be closed all the while and I would open them to look at the ' kani'. It somehow always looked magical to me in the wee hours of the morning.Then after praying for a good year ahead, I would be rewarded with some money (the fun part). Then, my mom would cook yummy food.

Today morning, instead of the kani, the first thing I saw was the alarm. I over-slept again. I had to rush to class. Heheheh. Maybe a trend for the coming year....!

15 comments:

Archana said...

Iniya puthaandu nal vaazhthukkal to you too :-)!

"Today morning, instead of the kani, the first thing I saw was the alarm."

LOL :-)- don't worry, its not an indicator of how your new year is going to be :-D!

Liked reading the post (I want to go home :-(!).

Ginkgo said...

happy new year..

oh jeez...u shud have reminded me..
wud have sent u my foto..
that way u wud have had a good thing to look at:P

Shilpa said...

Thanks Archu !

I want to go home too :-(

Shilpa said...

Ginkgo,
Its not too late..pls send me ur foto...I will use it for "drishti" instead of kani ;-)

Madsies,
Yes..my dad used to give me "normal" coin :-)
Abt next year - that was exactly my thought too ! Thanks !

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

happy vishu? vishu sadhya elle?

Krish said...

Wish-u 2 :-)

Vivhyd said...

am missing home too with the sweets etc.. hopefully next new yr u will be with Vikram.

BZ said...

Hey Shilpa,
Happy Vishu!

I am missing home too.. for a different reason though. :)

T said...

Happy New Year!!

Shilpa said...

Vijay,
I dint get wat u meant.."sadhya" ?
u mean " saddi" as in food ?

Thennavan, Vivek, SK,
Thanks for the wishes !

AD,
Thanks for dropping by :-)

Archana Bahuguna said...

happy new year and wishes to u too ...

kuttichuvaru said...

Iniya Puthaandu Nalvaazhthukkal!!

kavalai padatheenga.... year romba nallaa pogum :-)

Shilpa said...

Archana and Kutti,
Thanks !

Prabhu said...

Belated new year wishes.
2 more weeks to go??

Shilpa said...

Thanks Prabhu...yeah I am surviving :-)
But its more than 2 weeks ... till first week of May (sigh)