Sunday, April 09, 2006

School Reunion


It has been a real busy week for me; so busy that I did not even check any blog updates over the last 2-3 days ( real unusual eh ;-)). I had a lot of work in school, lots of errands to complete and general things to take care of.

Amidst all this, the strangest thing happened yesterday. I got an email from my long-lost friend, Sheethal.

I saw her last just after we got the 10th std results; I was moving to Bangalore and told her good-bye. I had written a post about friends when I started blogging last year and mentioned her name. S happened to put her name in google and lo - my post appears. She then found my email id through my website and sent me an email yesterday. I jumped with joy when I saw her email. Three cheers to blogging and the Internet ! So, we chatted today and swapped info about various classmates and she gave me the number of another friend, P who is now in California.

I called P a few minutes back. It was quite hilarious to introduce myself.

Me: Hello P, this is S
P: Huh..
Me: I am from AV...remember me?
P: Ur name is ringing bells...
Me: I was in the skit with u in 5th std.
P: Oh ... which character were u
Me: I was -- and you were--. We also went to see the movie ' magalir mattam' in high school.
P: I can almost place you ! But I am busy with guests right now; can I call you back in the evening ?
Me: Sure...sure...

A few months back, Archana and I came across a girl who seemed just like one of our school friends. After a lot of contemplation, we tried to get in touch with her and it was indeed her. We were all so excited for having found each other.

Last month, another friend contacted me after coming across my website. I had lost touch with her after Engg. Those days, e-mails were not so popular and so people just tend to drift away.

Internet is indeed gr8 ! There are many others I would like to find too...but since I am bad with names, its not easy to find them. Maybe I should just make a post with all my lost friends and hope they would use google to search for their names just like S...

15 comments:

Vivhyd said...

I had this post arnd the time when I started off blogging where I spoke of finding frnds thanks to google.. some time pass and it gets useful .. found a few myself and it always fun to talk to one after long time with the uh.. u remember me kinda stuff.. :)

Archana Bahuguna said...

's happened with me too shilpa ... :-) i found a childhood friend whom I knew in my I/II/III std :-) it was great ... and all kudos to blogging!

Archana said...

Hmm, I think I shd write a post with names of all my long-lost friends too. Other than S, I haven't found anyone else yet!!

Shilpa said...

Vivek,
yeah google is gr8 !

Archana,
Thats so neat !

Archu,
I think we shd put a post abt Farrah...wat say ?

BZ said...

Ah!
I have never found a long lost friend on the internet! :(
I am going to google all my school friends and see if I can hit on someone :))

Shilpa said...

Madsies,
Yeah its fun...esp since each one remembers a part of the incident :-)

SK,
Yup do that !

kuttichuvaru said...

in my case, I havnt connected to any long lost friend through blogging... but this seems interesting... but 'orkut' has really got me back in touch with a lot of my old pals!! internet is indeed a gr8 boon!!

Gopalan Ramasubbu said...

I've found lotsa friends through Orkut and yeah it's an amazing feeling when it happens.

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

school re unionaaa yuck!! i hated school..!!

Shilpa said...

KC,Gopalan
Even I found one of my friends thro Orkut :-)

Vijay,
u hated school ? thats weird !

Vijay Ramamurthi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vijay Ramamurthi said...

why do u think its weird?

Shilpa said...

Cos most people have fond memories of school no matter how bad it was..!
I think life was quite simple, innocent and fun back then...

Ginkgo said...

ah goody..:-)
Ive never had that much luck..
either cause..the names are pretty common to search..or maybe ppl have changed their last names after marriage...
(yeh yeh I search only for my femme class mates.;) )

Shilpa said...

Rahul,
Knowing u...i m surprised u dint try googling ur name earlier !!

Gingko,
:-) yeah i know wat u mean...another problem is that most ppl have only initials in school and expand it while coming here...so last name remains a mystery too.....