Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My first day as a .....


I had just returned from India the previous evening after a 3 week vacation. I was a week late in school and had lots to catch up. I rushed towards Rm 101 in Science Hall. It was already 9:30am. I opened the door and entered a full class, 120 students to be precise. My prof, Dr.M was standing and talking to the students. He gave me a quick smile and turned towards the students and introduced me as the instructor for the class. Many were surprised/shocked/amused. They were not expecting Ms.Subramaniam to be so young. Dr.M left the room.

I stood rooted at that spot. Stunned. Nervous ( was I showing it ?)

120 pairs of eyes looking at me with curiosity. Judging me. Listening to me. Writing down what I was saying.

What was I thinking when I accepted the job ? Oh crap...Where is my voice ! Focus Shilpa..Focus ! Say something.

I was suddenly very conscious of what I wore (thankfully dressed properly). I can only imagine all the comments that would be passed by the students ( what goes around, comes around eh). I looked for any familiar face in the crowd. None. Good. No one would ever know that I was so nervous. I saw one desi in the class. The rest were Americans. Oh Gosh, I better do something about my accent or no one would understand what I was saying.

I don't remember what I said. I did get my voice back. I think I introduced myself. Generally started rambling. I was a little calm after a few minutes. I managed to teach Astronomy for the undergraduate class for an hour that day. By the end of it, I was exhausted. Teaching was NOT easy at all !

More stories....next post !

14 comments:

Archana Bahuguna said...

Interesting ... I am sure you did great. I was imagining myself in your situation and thinking, introducing myself with my name would make things even worse. They would nt understand a word. :-) Waiting for more on your account. :-)

Prabhu said...

Whew, teach in front of a class of 120 people? That would have been an unnerving experience. If I had been on that stage - verum kaathu thaanga varuthu.

That too Astronomy!
Galileo cousin sister aa neenga?

Prasanna said...

120 is too much for a first time ever class! I can still remember the feeling of stomach knots in the first day of presentation during MBA...Waiting for Part 2

BZ said...

Ah, never been a TA, so havent had to do this. I know I would have been a horrible teacher :(

Will wait for the next post :)

Ginkgo said...

lolz...present teacher shd have been said here...not in my post:P

As an aside, when I was a TA, ther was this cute muslim girl..who I had great fun picking on...

One such time, was preventing her frm entering a lab session, standing at the door, and playing with her, by holding my hands across..

Out came a proff from the room opposite to the lab, who..happened to be...Her DAD...:-D

He had a look at us, and asked...any problem...

so I said..." well u dint get me the assistanship this time under u..
looks like ur daughter is going to pay for that.;-)

rofl..the look on his and his daughters face then..was worth 1 Assistanship for sure:-D

kuttichuvaru said...

oho, vaathiyaar madam-aa neenga?? 120 ppl for a first time is too much :-)

Archana said...

Hmm, during my TA-ship I addressed a maximum of 30 students at one time. 120 is sooo huge! But I bet things became much better as time went on :-)!

Shilpa said...

Archana,
The name thing was a big issue...will write abt that next :-)

Prabhu,
Yeah it was unnerving. No, I am not realted to Galileo :-P

Prasanna,
hehehe...yeah its a knotty situation

SK,
Its fun being a TA sometimes...

Rahul,
Yeah I was lucky to get this oppurtunity...but it had its disadvantages...

Gingko,
Nice story...can expect nothing "less" of u :-)

Kutti,
It was not my first time..had taught labs before and was a TA for the same course before I became its instructor :-P

Archu,
My labs had 40 students which I thought was too much...u r right though...it got a little easier but only after a long time...

dinesh said...

Interesting ! Reminded me of when I had to teach a core Chemical engineering class my first semester here. And that class was an elective for me in india ! I had a tough time....but as time went on, I warmed up to the course and the students warmed up to me.

Yeah, I was worried about my accent as well. As you go on, I have a feeling you'll enjoy it more. G'luck !

Shilpa said...

Dinesh,

This happened last spring :-)
I taught for 2 semesters as an instructor before landing an RA this sem.

Vivhyd said...

Shilpa teacher.. hope u taught very well.. the closest i came to that sorta thing is proctoring an exam.. :).. well 120 ppl is a lot.. tht many ppl in a class? here its like 30-40 max.. but good show.. hope u took them on a field trip to space or something :p

ashok said...

cool...cant wait for ur next post

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

:)
I just love teaching, I was a TA with 11 students in class, for an edvanced synthesis course. It was fun, I was working for the dean, he was one fantastic professor. Have taken around 10 classes. Loved it. That has been a major inspiration for me to phd.

Shilpa said...

Vivek,
These classes are one of the largest in my univ :-)
No field trips. They hv labs in the planetarium for that.

Ashok,
the wait is over :-P

Vijay,
I love to teach too. But thats not strong enough a motive for Phd for me...atleast not for the time being....:-)