Monday, April 03, 2006

Weekend

My friend P had his thesis defense on friday. It was in the same room where I had my EE defense two years earlier. Two of the committee members were the same as mine. His defense was in the same room where I had mine. So, it brought back memories. And made me realise that I need to hasten with my present research work.

We went to coffee haus in the evening. This is a cosy coffee place near school and features live bands in the evenings. As soon as we entered, I saw that the person at the counter was my ex-student. He was surprised to see me and even remembered my name ( whats the big deal in remembering names ? Well Shilpa is a difficult name for Americans). While chit-chatting I asked him what grade I had given him ( I din't want anyone spitting in my coffee ;-) ); after confirming that I had given him a good grade, I got my haus coffee ( his recommendation -turned out to be real good too). P got the same coffee and K did not get anything. We sat on the comfy couches and started talking. After a few hours, it was time to leave. P left to his relative's house. K and I decided to go restuarant-hopping. We went to Corner House bakery and had a cup of soup. Then, we went to Thai house and ordered appetizers. The plan was to go to a third restaurant for either entree or snack. But, I was full after eating the spring rolls. So, we ditched the idea. K ate something else in the same restaurant. We left to AMC after that to watch Ice Age. We did not get the tickets and ended up watching BI 2. It was boring, confusing and a drag.

Then on Saturday, we decided to try a new restaurant called Temptations in Irving. This is a Indo-Chinese cusine. The style was lunch buffet. So, the four of us went around 2pm and ate to our heart's content. The food was good. The service was excellent too. But, since this is a new restaurant, I will not be hasty in giving my review. Most places detoriate in standard within weeks. After a heavy lunch, we went to watch Ice Age. This time we got the tickets. The theatre was filled with kids. The movie was superb. It was so cute to watch the kids get excited about the movie. They even started clapping after the movie ended.

We then went to the mall; the guys got bored and sat down. K and I happily looked at most stores. I bought 2 pairs of flip-flops. I need to start my summer collection. We then dropped S to his apt and got back. End of fun-time.

I had tons of school-work that had piled up. Spent saturday night and the whole of sunday with my research work and homework. I even woke up early today to finish the homework. Then when I turned it in, the prof gives me a surprised look and says, 'Shilpa this was not due today, I did not complete the relevant materials and so announced an extension in class!' I was stunned. I had bunked the class last week. Damn !

Anyway this week is also filled with homeworks and exams. Actually its the same every week now as the semester would end in a month. Yawn. I've to head back to Gamma functions.

Here is a link with the Spring Break Austin pictures.

13 comments:

Gopalan Ramasubbu said...

Thai Spring rolls are one of my favourite.All the best with u r exams.Bit paper ellam ready pani aacha?;)just kidding.

BZ said...

Nice pictures :))

And omg! you must be one heck of a sincere student, to finish the homework before the deadline!! :)

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

sooper padips...

kuttichuvaru said...

happening weekend, huh?? wat movie is BI 2?? me is the weak with english movies he he!!

Archana said...

I remember the Corner Bakery and the soup we had there :-)! I already finished laughing at you for your sincere-sigamani homework submission so will let you go now ;-)!

Archana Bahuguna said...

Great pics Shilpa, looks like you really had fun on the weekend (still lingering on a spring break eh?:-)! And Indo-chinese cuisine! sounds really interesting ...

Shilpa said...

Gopalan,
Bit paper tevai illai...the latest one i hv is a take-home exam :-)

Rahul,
Oh is it ? I din't know. Well, then the restaurant has been good for a while. :-)

SK,
Danku..i keep looking at my "clear" face...sigh :-(
Abt the hw...hehehhe...yeah im very sincere :-D

Madsies,
Yeah I think the guilt drove me to study. Lake Travis is very pretty. And we got our own spot; no else was arnd and so we made quite a racket.

Vijay,
Nandri

Kuttichuvaru,
weak in english ? hmm...well then u wont understand the movie anyway ;-)

Archu,
Yeah...imagine how the prof would have laughed. I think he did it on purpose just to teach me a lesson for bunking.

Archana,
The Spr brk was gre8. The weekend was ok. The food was good though. I like Indo-chinese food a lot.

ashok said...

basic instinct 2 ?? Seriously, is it as good as I ?

Shilpa said...

Ashok,
U r not reading properly - I said it was awful. But then again, you may appreciate the review from a guy rather than me :-P

Vivhyd said...

Hey Shilpa.. ur name is tough for Americans? well our 1st names are easier. u shd look at their faces when it comes to last names :).. BI2 I Heard is really bad but then I havent watch BI and I dont intend on watching this one too.. trying out different restaurants for diff meals in a day!! haha.. Nowadays sitting here alone makes me thing 10 times to go even to one restaurant and sit.. cant think gng to 2-3 the same day.. Nice pics.. seems like u had fun... actually saw a few in ur yahoo acct too thru ur website. U travelled a lot!! I love to travel too.. cant wait for my 1st trip to CA this May.. tc

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

the pics are cool...

ashok said...

S, I read it properly -"boring, confusing and a drag" and all ...but,I was asking something else...ok, i'll get that clarified from a guy then :-)

Shilpa said...

Vivek,
Hv fun in cal.

Vijay,
Thanks :-)

Ashok,
:-D