Thursday, February 16, 2006

Bagalooru Days - Part 2


Bangalore is a fast changing city and I noticed a couple of things about it. I wonder if this is a common trend in all major Indian cities !

* Malls - There seems to be a Mall craze. Last year, I saw The Forum and Bangalore Central. This year had new inclusions like Garuda Mall, Eva Mall, Sigma Mall and some smaller malls. The malls have all the famous branded stores. I found them to be very expensive. And very crowded. Looks like the new hang-out place for families and friends is the mall ! The good thing about these malls is that they are clean and have many facilities. Garuda Mall even has a cookie store just like the malls here.

* Multiplex Theatres- If there are malls, can theatres be far behind ? The Forum Mall has India's largest multiplex, a 11 theatre multiplex called PVR Cinema. The theatre reminded me of AMC theatres here in the US. The seats were really comfortable. This theatre also has a Gold Class theatre where the tickets cost Rs. 500 per person!!

* Food Courts - My favourite place in the malls are the food courts. I was quite surprised to see a big line for Subway. People seemed to be very proud to eat a sub ! Obviously these people have never been here. Being a veggie, I am always used to limited choice here. But back home, its like paradise, so many options ! I love to eat in the darshinis and samrat stalls - the masala dosa, vada and rava dosas are simply superb. The food courts are always crowded and most of the times it is very difficult to even find a seat.

* Corn in a Cup - Everywhere you go, you will find a small stall selling ' corn in a cup'. Its healthy and tasty. I found many flavors like plain, butter, masala, chinese etc. But isn't it a little expensive ? The cheapest is around Rs. 25/- ! !

* Coffee Shops - Everyone loves to drink coffee. I found new additions to the already existing list of cafes. Coffee Day and Barista are a common sight. I went to a new store called Coffee World this time. And another small store in Forum Mall, whose name I forgot. This was a little different from others, the shop was small and seemed to have a grinding machine and the coffee there had a very traditional South Indian kapi taste. The costs in most of the cafes are formidable. I missed Starbucks.

Was I the only one who felt that most of things were too expensive ? I am not saying that a cup of coffee was expensive; Its just that, for the living standards in India, things seemed to be expensive. Most of the rates are comparable to the rates here. Everyone seemed to spending a lot of money ! Or perhaps the living standard has gone up and I can only relate to the standard that was there when I left India.

Everything seems to have changed. But there is one thing that has not changed -

The pass mark is still 35 ! ! ( hehehehe)

9 comments:

Prasanna said...

I happen to have my work place in one such mall in Chennai - Spencer Plaza. The crowd that visits this place seems to be increasing by the day – their intention is not to shop but just to do “Time Pass”. The shops expect a very few (Food Court, Cookie shops etc.,) hardly do any sales, I wonder how they sustain themselves. But, I should say that they fleece the foreigners!

Also, a major factor that pulls the crowd is the Centralized AC which is a great respite from the super hot summer in Chennai.

Shilpa, we too have a Subway here. It is such a healthy alternative to all the junk available in other places.

Ginkgo said...

lolz@ the pass mark...
with colleges trying hard to fill up the class with students..
thts no more an issue I guess..

Remember reading about how a guy in bihar tht got 4 marks in the entrance outta 100 was actually begged to join a course...in a prestigious engg college in his place...:-)

Archana Bahuguna said...

I agree. The surprising thing is that these malls and coffee shops and PVRs are totally filled up with young "college" students! They seem to be getting HUGE pocket money it seems! I couldnt have afforded a movie ticket of more than 50 bucks during my college days and Balcony was only when someone was giving a treat. And these PVRs have flat rates of Rs. 165!@#$@$#

BZ said...

LOL!
Pass mark is still 35! :)

Forum - I went there more than a year back. Man! It is soooo Americanized, I was verry surprised.

Ginkgo said...

remember walking into Spencer plaza in madras in one of their phase 2 or 3 stores..the last time I was there..

It was basically empty...and when I went in and checked the price',I realised why..
But more than that....u r the only one inside and all the sales persons rush at u..and follow u as if u they are ur personal body guards..aka Black cats..

I had to turn back and tell them..
"No Dont worry, I wont run away with any of ur stuff..U can rest easy" :-)

That they still dint go is a diff matter...altogether..:D

Archana said...

Ah Gingko, "health & glow" stores are the biggest culprits in that regard. A whole bunch of sales-girls follow you around like Mary's little lambs! Last time I finally asked the girl (who was almost stuck to me) as to whether she intended to follow me around everywhere. Mercifully she moved away - and then went and stuck to my mom instead! Ugh!

Shilpa said...

Wow, 4/100 and he is sought after for an engg seat !!! That can happen only in Bihar !!

Yeah these PVR rates seem very overprized...but nobody seems to mind spending !

I went to Nike store in Forum and was shocked at the prices; even a simple yoga pant was around Rs. 1500 !! I told my friend that even if I buy from a Nike store here, it would be way cheaper....

And I don't want to start about ppl following u arnd in the stores; it really annoys me...esp in Health and Glow...there are more sales ppl than customers...i can write a post on it.. :-)

Shilpa said...

Prasanna,
There are limited options for veggies here; so i m sick of Subway...

Archana,
I agree with you; my pocket money was just sufficient for doing all the time pass; and we're always content with having 'chai' in the local tea shops or canteens....Kids these days sure must be spending a lot...even petrol is Rs.50 per litre !!

SK,
I think 35 has been the pass mark for many decades; thats one thing that may be in common over generations hehehe

Gingko,
Maybe u 'attract' sales 'girls' ;-)

Archu,
I hate goign to H&G just cos of the reason u mentioned...

Obla,
I am surprised u dint see it ! U had very little time in Blore I guess...

Mind Curry said...

hello from bangalore :) was nice to read your bangalore review. its not surprising the cost of living has gone up in bangalore..i guess bangalore has grown exponentially over the last few years. and thanks to the IT boom, the wallets have also become fatter. and people dont mind paying for quality stuff, especially entertainment. indian economy is the third largest now and just behind usa and china, so its not too shocking that prices are almost similar.