Friday, February 10, 2006

How I met my husband :-)

The title is inspired from a column that used to come in some magazine in India...I forgot its name. The column was a big time pass for me.

Before I begin writing about the wedding and all its fanfare, I think a little bit of history and background would add some spice to the description.

I met Vikram more than 7 years ago. It was early morning around 8am on Nov 11, 1998. It was the first week of classes in 3rd semester engg. I had changed my branch to telecom and was busy with all the paper work. I had gone to my class for the first time the previous day and had mistaken the first class to be at 8:20am on that day. As I had to meet the Head of the Dept for some signature, I came a little early. I went to the Dept on 2nd floor and went to HOD's chamber only to learn that he does not come that early to college.

So, I walked back to the corridor and noticed a guy standing near the notice-board. He was tall, dark and handsome. And I was hoping that he would be in my class. I was suddenly conscious of how silly I looked that day. Why is it that when you actually meet a cute guy, you would be having one of the worst-dressed days ? I had an accident the earlier week and so had a big plaster in my hand.

I don't remember who spoke first; I think he did. He introduced himself as Vikram. I could not believe my luck; he was in my class after all. We chatted for a while; turns out he also got the time table confused too and thought there was a class at 8:20am. I learnt that his zodiac sign was Aries. As I was a big Linda Goodman fan at that point, I classified him as a typical Aerian and a flirt. I simply loved his smile and convinced myself to stay as far away from him as possible.

That was 7 years ago. Time does fly. We became best friends soon. Cupid had struck long back. We have been through ups and downs. After engg, he began to work in different places in India while I worked in Bangalore. Then I came to US to do my MS. The distance away from each other helped us realise the importance of each other. There have been days when I have wanted to give up everything and go back in the first available flight.

After a lot of talking and convincing, we finally got the concent for marriage from our parents. So we finally tied the knot last month.

Thats how I met my husband :-)

p.s. the distance continues even now...hes in Dubai and I am in US. All I can think of now is meeting him soon....

10 comments:

rads said...

awww.. that was so cute. Good luck you two lovebirds - enjoy the closeness in the distance, just don't stretch it ;-)

BZ said...

oh shilpa
Talk to me about long distance.. it sucks! When r u guys planning tostart living together?

Shilpa said...

Waah...I don't want to "stretch" it either :-(

Well I've to finish school asap and join him...sadly @ the rate I m doing my thesis...it may take a while :-(

Archana said...

Shilpa, olunga OB adikaama finish your thesis soon. Then you go to Dubai :-). Meantime think abt ur upcoming vacation and smile :-)!

logic said...

Congrats on your marriage..
Your complete luv life narrated beautifully in few lines...
strength
Distance is a fool..
It assumes that it can crumble the
forte of Love..and inbetween u feel that it is gaining ground..but at the end it would have built a insepearable bond..

Wish u find your beloveds shoulders very soon..

Ginkgo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ginkgo said...

ah...interesting stuff...
When I always ask my friends tht had a love marrriage, about how they met, it normally takes a while to get out of the dream zone and get u to tell them..
It invariably makes them blush..and they try to tell as short a story as possible..

btw, get him over here...how tuff wud that be?

Archana Bahuguna said...

We are hoping more on the "love story" is coming :-) ( ;-)just kidding )
Wishes ...

Prasanna said...

that was damn sweet. I fully agree with archu, finish ur course ASAP and join him....

Shilpa said...

Thanks for the advice folks...I want to finish soon too...but those who did their thesis know wat a pain it is... :-(

Abt Vikram coming here; hes very fussy abt his job and he would relocate only if he gets something good...I still hv my hopes :-) maybe he can take a transfer to Nokia, Dallas....

In the meantime...I'm waiting for spring break...