Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Day 1 - Jan 17th,2006 - Tuesday


Murphy's law says that when something can go wrong, it will. This is particularly true while planning for a wedding.

I woke up on Tuesday morning to the usual confusion. One of my biggest complains about my trip to India was that I could never sleep till late in the morning. I was forced to wake up early. Sigh ! Anyway, coming back to my story. I got a call around 11 am from the lady who was supposed to do the Bridal Mehandi. She asked me when I was going to send the car to pick her up and that she was waiting. I was like, huh, the ceremony is tomorrow; why would she come the day earlier. Then turns out she had the wrong day in her diary. Grrrr. She was booked already by more than 2 people the next day. I was very angry with her especially since I booked her long back. We tried to work around with the time, but it looked like a hopeless situation.

So, I was in a nice situation. 24 hours before the ceremony, the Mehandi lady ditches me. We were expecting more than 30 people for just the mehandi and some more to stay on for dinner. Anyway, I had expected something would go wrong and kept a back up just in case. So I made a few more calls and fixed another person. Did she come finally ? The answer to that would be in my next post.

Then, it was time to get ready for the evening dinner. This had the least confusion compared to all other days. We were expected at 8pm in Vikram's house. A car load of relatives had left and reached on time. I was a little late thanks to the pandemonium created over dressing for the occasion. The more people to assist, the more the confusion. I had picked a yellow saree for the occasion and had matching high heeled shoes. I had decided that I should not look short in front of Vikram. I was very pleased with my high heeled collection. All that collapsed while getting ready for this dinner. :-(

Turns out the sarees are not really designed for tall people, esp, ones with heels. So when I wore the heels, the saree was very short. Boo Hoo Hoo. I had to make do with flat chappals. And it was too late to go and buy new shoes.

Anyway, we reached the party. I was introduced to another bunch of relatives. All I had to do was smile. I was hungry but could not eat properly because I had to constantly meet people and as a result I was too hassled to do justice to the food. There were a few typical Manglorean dishes which were very new and interesting for all of us. The smiling and hello sessions went on for a while and we finally left a little after 11pm.

On the whole it was a nice evening.

6 comments:

Archana said...

Yeah, I really liked the way you had planned for all contigencies in your wedding :-). What is a wedding without confusion!

BZ said...

WOW!
You guys are a couple!
Sweet! :))

Waiting for more.

Shilpa said...

Archana,
So many things messed up even after planning...hehhehe..

Obla,
I really had fun planning the wedding...i did suggest to my mom that we start a new "wedding planner" business :-)

SK,
Thank you :-)

Ginkgo said...

SK...
2 people means Couple rite..
wacha mean by...u guys are a couple ;)

noww..Escapeeee

Shilpa said...

Gingko,

U r argument is stunning , as usual !!!

T said...

You could write a book or movie script on this :-)