Friday, February 24, 2006

Day 2 - Jan 18th - Morning

I was forced to wake up because of all the racket created by relatives. We were having a sumangali puja in the morning. Many relatives had already come by then and my house seemed to be bursting with people. Adding to the confusion were workers who came to put up shamiyana and pandals. I was hungry soon and decided to see whats cooking. Alas, due to madi rules ( shudhh) I was forbid to go into the kitchen. I realized soon that I was not going to get any breakfast. Sigh. I get very cranky if I miss breakfast. And my morning cup of tea. Finally after pleading, I got a cup of tea. But....that only made me even more hungry ! My mom told me that lunch would be served very soon.

By then it was time for Archana's arrival. She was coming by Shatabdi express from Chennai. I could not go to the station cos of the Puja. Everyone was busy so we decided to send just the driver, M. He had a cell and she had a cell. I decided to write a placard with her name and give it to M. When I came downstairs with it, my dad told me that M had already left. I was very irritated...how would he find her ? Anyway, I thought the cell was always there. Then I called A to tell her that only M was coming. And I got a msg saying her phone was switched off. I tried after a while ; by this time the train had surely reached Blore; but I continued getting the same message. Then, I guessed something was wrong. I called M on his cell and that was unreachable !

How was M going to find A when both their cell phones were not working ? After sometime M called and said he could get thro A's phone. I told him to stand near the ticket counter and hoped A would call me soon. She did and told me her phone was not activated for roaming; I told her to go to the ticket counter and described M and the car. Then I waited. M called told me that no one matched the description I gave ; then I told him to stand near the phone booth itself as A would surely call from there. They called again. Both were calling from the same phone booth but could not find each other ! This confusion continued for an hour and they NEVER found each other. Finally, I told A to get an auto and come home. M returned too. A finally reached home. We finally got to eat after 1 pm. So much for 'early' lunch.

Post lunch, my cousins, A and I sat and chatted in my room. After a while, we decided that we should practice for the dance the next day. My cousins, A and S were dancers and the rest of us were not. We convinced them to teach us a few steps. We turned on the music, woke up everyone upstairs and started dancing. It was a lot of fun. Madisar maamis joined us to add to the fun. It was tea time soon. We then got ready for the evening Mehandi session and dinner.

7 comments:

Prasanna said...

We should have a new rule by which the bride gets to have the prasadam first and then the Madisar Maamis...Sigh! I can still smell those vadas...

BZ said...

Hey sweet :)
But its sad you did not get breakfast!
Dont families pamper you and stuff you stomach full, when you back from US _and_ are getting married!? ;)

And hope Archana was not cursing you when she was waiting at the Railway station. :)

Reminds me of how my friend J came to my place a few days before the wedding. Ah.
Memories :)

Do write more. And dont mind my blabber :))

Archana said...

Ah, I am thrilled to see so much sympathy in my direction :-D! Yeah, I was pretty irritated with M - I swear to God, unless he (M, not God) was invisible, there was no one answering his description anywhere near where he said he was. But - once I got to S's home, I did get niceee food, royal treatment and chai too :-D! The dancing was very good fun - especially when the maamis jumped in to dance!

Shilpa said...

Madsies,
Yeah the puja went on well...i was not involved in it anyway...

Prasanna,
I agree with u...they shd not starve the bride...

Rahul,
I felt awful to make her wait :-(

SK,
I dont consider it ur blabber at all :-)
They don't pamper the bride...they starve her :-( so unfair !!
Luckily I had a few cereal bars hidden with me...

Archu,
There is always some adventure when u come to blore na...remember u came during engg once and got lost...

Archana Bahuguna said...

Swear to God! All the rules of not eating before this time, wearing this color only, ... I created a lot of ruckus in my wedding revolting to almost every custom at first and then giving in to the FORCE .. :-)

Krish said...

I am enjoying the account. Go on :-)

Shilpa said...

Archana,

I made a big fuss too and drove everyone crazy...

Thennavan,
The narration will continue :-)