Monday, February 20, 2006

First month anniversary

How time flies ! I've been married for a month today !! I've decided to finally start writing about the wedding. So, the next few posts will be an overdose of my wedding. :-)

I started planning my wedding long back. I did not want to do something stereotype. I went to India 6 weeks before the wedding and was busy from the day I landed. I will also write a post about shopping and other issues related to the wedding soon. My mother and mother-in-law were very supportive and helped me in realizing my "dream" wedding.

A wedding is not easy to plan especially if you are fussy about a lot of things. We had a five day wedding. The events were as follows:

* Day 1 - Jan 17th - Dinner party hosted by Vikram's parents @ Vikram's house
* Day 2 - Jan 18th - Sumangali Puja (morn) and Mehandi (evening) followed by Dinner @ Shilpa's house
* Day 3 - Jan 19th - Vrata Puja and Engagement in the morning @ choultry
Sangeet/Dance in the evening @ choultry
* Day 4 - Jan 20th - Wedding in the morning @ choultry
Reception in the evening @ choultry
* Day 5 - Jan 22nd - Cocktail Party and Dinner hosted by Vikram's grandparents @ Grandparents's house

I will describe each of these events in detail. Most of the events were uncommon in a typical South Indian Wedding. I was helped by cousins and friends for all the events.

I always wanted a meaningful wedding and not something which resembles an ordeal. It is usually seen that everyone other than the bride and the groom have a lot of fun. I did not want to miss out on having fun in my own wedding.

The wedding was a grand success. I was very happy when many people told me that it was one of the most memorable weddings that they had attended. I was very amused when some told me that they were 'inspired' to get married 'again' just so that they can have the same kind of fun. I was very flattered when some unmarried cousins and friends told me that they would like to have their wedding on the same lines as mine.

More...yet to come....

6 comments:

Archana said...

Congratulations, maami :-D! Yeah, yeah, write more abt your wedding - me shall add my own wise observations too :-)!

BZ said...

WOW!
five day wedding! Sounds wonderful. :))
I was tired after the two day ceremony! :)

Ginkgo said...

hey...cant read:-(
tht black bckground is killng my already delicate eyes...:(
n a cheerful note...yeh yeh...
congrats MAAMI..:-))

fotos enge pa

Shilpa said...

Archu,

remember the funda i told u abt mamis...according to which u r also a mami :-)

SK,
yeah it was long..but fun !!

Obla,
Don't be too thrilled...ur status is changing to " mama" soon...

Gingko,
bkgn is not black...get ur eyes tested !!
fotos on the way...

Ginkgo said...

arre u did something in the morning...

all these dots on the background never appeared...it was pitch black..like amavaasa...:-)

or maybe kathala thooka kalakathula office ponnathu naala irukkum:D

Shilpa said...

Gingko,

adan coffee/tea kudikinam...to wake u up from sleep mode...

Madsies,

thanx for dropping by...nice to hear that u had a similar wedding..