Tuesday, November 22, 2005

My experiments with hair color....

Sometime in 2002, I was fascinated with changing my hair color. I went to the nearby walgreens and picked up a brown shade from Revlon. Picking the color was not an easy task; anyway I tried it and lo....nothing happened. It did not even look like I had applied a hair color; remained as black as ever, except if I stood under some halogen lamp :-( But I did not give up so easily. Tried again after a couple of months and was a little more successful; turns out these colors take a while to show up.

Then I went home in Dec that year; hair color craze had just started in India. My mom is totally against coloring my hair ( I've heard long lectures about how it would spoil my hair etc). So it was a quite a challenge to do it under her nose and get away with it. I changed from brown to a reddish-brown. While that sounds nice; it was quite different. It looked like I had put henna on my hair. So thats exactly what I told my mom (plus the fact that henna is good for the hair). I don't know if she bought the story; I was back here before she could think about it. The color improved (thankfully) and I had a nice reddish-brown shade for a while. Ofcourse, nothing good lasts forever. I had a short boy-cut hairstyle and so as the length grew; the color change became more obvious. I tried a few more bolder red shades after that; one could say that I always had some strange hair color hehehhee. This was a constant source of amusement for all my friends.

I had a weird bright red shade this May. I still remember the first time I looked at myself after I tried this color; I was alone at home, I toweled my hair and looked in the mirror and almost fainted with shock. Whose reflection was it ? I hoped that the mirror had some dispersion problem(or watever). I promptly saw my reflection in another mirror under a different light, I looked worse. Eeekss....It looked like I had a red wig on. I panicked and finally went to meet a friend. My friend was ROFL after looking at me. I was almost in tears. Then I calmed down and decided to carry it off. :-) Unfortunately this was the time I was visiting Archana in California. I avoided standing under bright lights and took pictures carefully. Ofcourse I was always with a cap ( it was very hot hehehe). Everyone I met would ask me about the shade; I know deep inside they were collecting info so that they never buy that shade ( It was a L'oreal F'eria Red Highlight). The color seemed to grow on me and faded quickly. After a few months I changed to a light brown shade.

I also sported a color contact lens (amethyst) last year; which meant my origin was not so easy to guess. I have been mistaken to be a hispanic many times. I have fun changing my appearance and confusing everyone; especially when desis are around and they would speak in Tamil/Kannada/Hindi assuming that I would surely not know what they were speaking. :-)

Using my upcoming wedding as an excuse, my mom asked me to start growing my hair and stop coloring. Apparently South Indian brides don't sport red hair. Sigh ! So, my hair length is quite long now compared to how it was. Most of my friends would not recognize me now ! Funny how much difference hair length and color can make !

Now its back to square one; went to a salon on friday and colored my hair back to black. I feel weird when I look at myself in the mirror. Well, lets see how long this lasts..........

13 comments:

Archana said...

You should probably put up pictures of your various experiments with hair color :-))! I think your current black hair looks very nice though, of course, the bright red shade will always hold a special place ;-p!

Krish said...

Back to Black - I like that expression. Get me one more person like you and I have a movie title already (whether or not I have a movie ready):

WOMEN IN BLACK

:-)

Ginkgo said...

karuppu thaan enakku pidicha color uu:-)

If u ask me, black looks better on most desis...than any other color..:-)


Btw, was watching a Making of the HP-Goblet of fire program on TV..

those 2 desi girls in the movie., looked cute :-)

havent read or watched any of the HP stuff till date..letz see how long I'll resist..other than some 10-15 min video clips now and then..

Archana Bahuguna said...

Well just before I was about to write here I scanned through others' comments. And you know what, I was about to write EXACTLY what Archana has written here ... why not us have pictures of your various colored hair posted in here and we could comment on them ... it would be fun commenting also ;-).
I ve been thinking on coloring my hair too but just that my hair quality has become so pathetic over the years that I fear losing whatever I have if I experiment with that ... :-(

Shilpa said...

:-) well...my pics are really very funny...i will try to post a before and after pic soon.
In the meantime, chk out my pics at
http://photos.yahoo.com/phy1445
There is an album called TIMELINE.

Thennavan, there are lots of women in black ;-)

Obla, I always wanted to try blonde...but dont have the guts yet...maybe after the wedding hehehe

ginkgo, ennakum karrupu thaan pidicha color ... but i also get bored hehehe...abt HP...yeah those twins were ok....their gagras were awfully plain in the movie...u shd watch the movie...but be warned its 2.5hrs long !

Archana, go for it girl ! If you don't color it now...u will find it harder later on ! Most ppl say that ur hair gets ruined by coloring...i don't think so...mine is the same...i think archu will agree with me too...

Ginkgo said...

hmm...the one hair color I really really liked..other than black that is...

Somebody had just the tip of their hair coloured with something like a Neon shade color..some greenish white or something...If there is something like that..:-)

Looked very very good..

rads said...

Traipsed in here through gingko's blog, and read your experiments with color. It's fun isn't it, watching yourself change shades and appearances. I prolly should blog about it, I have tons to say.
btw, my 2 cents on your pics - you looked awesome in your grad gown et al, and I think black looks great, but get some highlights in auburn or golden brown, will complete the 'confusing folks of your origin' look, you like so well :-)

Shilpa said...

:-) Thanx for the ideas...

I did think of coloring just one strand with some crazy color like purple/pink/lavender....then again decided against it...i can probably try the auburn highlights suggested by Rads...sooo much to try and so little time !! ;-)

My graduation from EE seems soo long ago...I should hopefully graduate soon from my current program...

Unknown said...

Stay put with this combination for sometime atleast - long black hair, maybe nexy year you can change to long blonde hair :)

I still remember 3 yrs back trying to take pictures of your hair which was "supposedly" brown and you were standing under every light possible for the camera to capture the brown shade!!! :):)

good luck with your experiements!!

Shilpa said...

Yeah I've come a long way....

3 yrs ago...trying to get a pic with the shade...and now trying to hide the shade from the pics LOL

Archana said...

Yup Archana, you should try coloring your hair. As far as I can see it neither improves nor worsens the current condition of my hair!!

Archana Bahuguna said...

Shilpa & Archana:
Ha ha ha .... I am not giving in to "peer pressure" ...!! Currently I prefer "The Gradual decline of Useless lifeless brownish black hair" to "Instant Vertical fall from colored hair to colored wigs" .... ha ha!
And Shilpa, I would really be waiting to see the "blue/purple" tinge in your hair if you do plan on doing that sometime..sounds exciting and "different" :-) And BOLD too! :-)

Shilpa said...

Archana,

LOL...ur comment was very funny :
I prefer "The Gradual decline of Useless lifeless brownish black hair" to "Instant Vertical fall from colored hair to colored wigs"

Hahaha...