Monday, November 14, 2005

You have lost weight !



These are the magical words that I love to hear from anyone. A person who tells me " you have lost weight" becomes my best friend ;-) hehehehe

Life is indeed unfair; some people are so thin inspite of eating a lot. Then there are girls like me who would look well-fed even if I have been starving for a month ! Sigh ! I realized this truth more than a decade ago; tried many kinds of dieting and even starving; guess what ? Nothing gave remarkable results. So, I gave up dieting. Ofcourse I watch what I eat....which means avoiding fatty foods, sweets, fried stuff...Bottom line : avoid anything tasty !

Then I started working-out and then some finally there was some noticible change ! No, I am not one of those health freaks who jog 10 miles everyday; nor do I jog on the treadmill for an hour everyday; I joined an aerobics class ! I simply love this form of exercise; I guess the music and seeing others in the group keeps me highly motivated. And its a stress buster ! There are days when the instructor makes us work so hard that I think my heart would give up and pop out ! There are days when I am so exhausted that I feel like calling an ambulance to take me home. But I enjoy it anyway....

The only glitch is when you take a break and lose momentum; which means becoming lazy and finding excuses to avoid going to the gym; then it takes a lot of effort to get back into the groove. I am in that phase now....But I started going from last week and should be back in form soon :-)

It always inspires me when I see people working out; one of my cardio instructors is an old lady, she must be atleast 50 ! Yet, she teaches very well and her energy level puts us all to shame...I wonder if I would be able to move at her age !!

What started with a goal of losing weight has turned into something I enjoy doing; losing weight/being healthy seems like an incentive !

Anyway, this is my favourite prayer:

" Oh God, if you can't make me thin, please make others fat"

9 comments:

Archana said...

My soul-mate! I have the same freakin' problem - I just need to *look* at tasty food and it immediately translates to fat on me!! Yeah, group fitness classes is the best solution that I have found so far...

Remember the wedding elephant for inspiration to get you out of your rut ;-)!

Shilpa said...

Yup yup I remember....that image goes a long way in motivating me hehehhe

Now I am praying that Vikram puts on weight by some miracle...my worst nightmare is looking like Laurel & Hardy for all the wedding pics :-(

Ginkgo said...

well..putting on weight is a sign of happiness...
U prolly are happy doing whatever u r 'doing' :-)

and of course there is a question of metabolism..

There have been cases, where ppl have been found to stabilize after eating more..but regularly at specific times:-)

so cheer up...eat watever u want..but make sure itz a habit and not a craving:-)

Shilpa said...

Hmm...eating regularly is wat i used to do when Mommy cooked for me....wah...i miss her cooking...

But being plump has advantages, there are times when the fat is useful...
eg: When I tried ice-skating and
fell down a couple of times...hehehehe

Archu...do u remember ? for once we were thankful for not being thin...

Archana said...

Heheh, tell me about the ice-skating thing! I always knew there was *some* reason why God stored up extra fat on me ;-)!

Krish said...

Hi Shilpa, you have lost weight :-)

(now that you are done grinning, I want to say that I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I never put on weight whatever I eat. Now before you say what's wrong with that, I should say the grass is always greener on the other side) :-)

Shilpa said...

Hey Thennavan aka Mukund....u r my best friend ;-)

Like you said, grass is always greener on the other side :-(

I don't even have to eat to put on weight...my body seems to absorb fat molecules out of thin air...sigh !

Madhooo said...

Ah, it is nice to see like-minded people.:-) It is also good to see that u have been enjoying aerobics.

BTW, I liked your prayer. Maybe if all of us pray together, God might listen to our prayers sometime.;-)

Shilpa said...

Hey Madhoo,

I like your idea...its like signing a petition hehehhe