Saturday, November 26, 2005

S*A*L*E


This is a word that attracts me like a magnet. I am a shopaholic, I love to shop. All I need is an excuse to goto the mall ( and some money ofcourse). So, this thanksgiving I decided that I would not give-in to temptation and stay put at home ( Last year, my friends and I had stood outside BestBuy all night, we had a gr8 time). So this Thursday night, we watched Flight Plan and then I went to sleep. My roomie, Prathi woke up at 5am to go shopping. I told her that I was not shopping and went back to sleep. She called me from the mall at 11am on Friday and asked me which store I was in. I was fast asleep and blabbered something. She told me that aeropostale had a 50% off sale. This just woke me up in a second. Aero is one of my fav stores and I had been eyeing a brown coudroy pants there. I was up and ready in sometime. I woke up Karuna and dragged her to the mall. So much for a resolution not to shop !

I was in the mall and some other stores for nearly 7 hours ! I did not buy much and did a lot of window shopping. Visited my fav stores: Gap, Aero and American Eagle. I lost control in Aero as expected. I bought yet another handbag (apt 9) from Kohls. I could finally afford something from Abercombie ! All the clothes in this store are designed for really small people, I felt like a giant ! Then, I bought some more creams ! I don't know why I have such a big weakness for handbags, shoes/slippers, perfumes, jewellery, clothes, cosmetics and creams (esp bath and body works). I don't have place to keep my handbags and shoes :-(

Sometimes it is good to go shopping with others (they can help with carrying the shopping bags) while it is good to be alone at other times. Not everyone has patience to do window shopping. I like to go shopping with other equally avid shoppers who would not get bored with it and would not crib about being in the stores for more than 7 -8 hours !

I like shopping here because normally no one disturbs you with a ' Can I help you'. It was strange to go shopping in India after getting used to this style; there people are just waiting to pounce on you and give no privacy to look around. I still remember last year when I was in Health and Glow on Brigade Road in Blore; the store had more sales girls than customers. They came with a ' can i help you' and I told them I was ' just looking' . The girl gave me a weird look and kept following me ! I finally got so irritated that I left the store without buying anything.

I see another growing trend these days, normally shopping used to be a girls favorite hobby. Guys would normally stay away from shopping. But recently all my guy friends seem to love to shop like crazy too ! They are no longer just obsessed with electronics and seem to have switched to other things like clothes, house hold stuff, etc. Interesting change....

I am waiting to go to India and shop for the wedding. :-)

15 comments:

Read This said...

Nice writing style. You have a lot of truth in your blog. Thanks.

Archana Bahuguna said...

Go ahead and shop as much as you can... :-) You shop for your wedding only once in your life! :-) Enjoy every moment of it! :-) I am going to India these winters ...other than looking fwd to meeting my folks all thats hoggin' my mind is I ll buy this and that and this n that!

Archana said...

I totally understand!! Thats why I sincerely avoided all malls this tnxgiving (last year I spent a record 10 hours shopping on the day after tnxgiving) except for one small lapse at H&M!

Shilpa said...

Ladies...Thank you for the words
of wisdom ;-)
I shall shop more...hehehhe

Vasanth said...

ah shopping ...sale... words that cause both happines and dread.. :o) as a fellow shopper cant help but agree with you... :o)

Unknown said...

On black friday while i was doing the rounds in the mall, i realized i had left my wallet in the car and the car was parked in a remote parking spot. Thanks to this and having to wait outside best-buy/circuit city in the bitter cold,i didn't do any damage at all. But i'll be sure to carry them with me on the next visit to the mall :)


Shilpa, good luck with your shopping in india.Be sure to have a credit card which gives you points while you shop. Who knows you might get enough points at the end of your trip and use it at Aeropostle !!!

Shilpa said...

:-) Good to hear from fellow shoppers !

Abt shopping in India, I was hoping I my dad and Vikram would foot the bill...hehehhehe

Krish said...

Shilpa the Shoppa, oops, the shopper

:-)

Ginkgo said...

puli varuthu puli varuthu kadaiya la irukku :-)

When r ya getting married...

how do u think it wud be if u get a big present on ur marraige day frm 'blogger.com :-)

Shilpa said...

Hey Ginkgo,

Anda kadai and indu post .. yenna connection puriliye...pls explain !

Mes getting married on Jan 20th, 2006 in B'lore....

Present from blogger.com ... hmm...well I would be surprised ofcourse....

Ginkgo said...

boy....therz nothing worse than having to explain One's 'joke' to others :-)

sigh...here u go..

puli varuthu ( wont go shopping), puli varuthuu(wont buy anything)to finally Big karcha to be shared by dad fiancee self and whoever u name it,...:-)


Jan 20 pretty neat..:-)
I mite be in India 2 around tht time..

Shilpa said...

Hehehe...

Hmm..hey if u r in India at that time...u shd come to my wedding...

btw ginkgo...wats ur real name :-)

Ginkgo said...

sure...if therz anything for me in it...I wudnt miss it:-)

as in...are ther any single and looking girls that might attend the wedding:-)

real name, :-) y, dya knw wat my unreal name is :-)

na dont worry...me aint the guy that dint pick u up frm the airport..:-P

Shilpa said...

Hmm....single girls....many people have a similar request ;-)

Looks like I've to take special care in inviting eligible girls :-)

Ginkgo said...

aargh..competition..