Wednesday, March 08, 2006

50th post....

I can't believe I've written so much already. Anyway, I've managed to reach my 50 th post. I wanted to change the name of my blog...still messing around with the idea. Want to change the template too...but been too busy this week. Oh well, its spring break next week. Yippe !

A very strange incident occured today afternoon. I had a lot of things to mail; But I've been in lazy mood since morning and did not want to walk to the PO in school. So I drove to the main USPS Office a few blocks away.

I was looking for the right size boxes when somebody from the counter asked if I needed help. I looked up to see an old desi uncle. He was smiling and said he would help me with the supplies. He gave me what I needed and the labels, customs form etc. I filled out everything while he kept talking about his family. I was nodding politely ( I was barely awake). Then, while he was giving me the stamps, he started asking about me (family, native place, major in school etc). I told him that I had no relatives here and that I was living with friends. The conversation continued like this

Uncle: So, when will you graduate ?
Me : Maybe next semester

Uncle: Are you married ?
(I felt there was no necessity to tell him about my marriage, explain why we are away, listen to his sympathy and advise; I could save a lot of trouble by saying....).
Me: No
( Thanks to my jacket, my mangalsutra was not seen too)

Uncle does more talking ( my mind is blank, yawn).

Uncle: So, do you have a friend with whom my wife can talk ?
Me: Huh ( Was I that sleepy ? I could not understand what he was asking... me with blank expression).

Uncle: repeats the same question
Me: same blank expression

Uncle ( gives up) : I have a son who will turn 30 soon...
Me: ( so ? ) Oh (...the tube light finally lit up)

( LOL I could not believe what he was saying, people seem to be ready to catch prospective brides anywhere).

Uncle: Well ?
Me: Uncle, my parents have already found someone back in India.

Uncle: Well, consider even this..ok ?
Me : ( with a straight face; controlling my laughter) OK

Uncle then goes on about his son; his job; his intelligence; blah blah...By now I am really irritated...then I give him a ' will you hurry up look'...I told him I have a class in 10 minutes.
Finally he lets me off and gives me the receipt. I am ready to run from there, when he calls me out and says

' you can always find me here; come -by if you change your mind'.

I come out ... ROFL....

Next time...better walk to the University PO.

17 comments:

Shilpa said...

Heights....? Come on...when you are lazy, everything is justified...

I think I did get punished for being lazy...don't u think ?

btw looks like you r being punished for all your lazy days....:-)

Krish said...

Congrats :-)

Archana Bahuguna said...

That was funny! These people have nothing else to do other than finding brides for their sons; you never even know their son already has a girl friend who he even plans on marrying with the parents oblivious of it yet. God bless them.

Archana said...

Congrats!

Enna panradhu, ppl find you sooooo attractive and irresistible, that they can't help offering you their son's hand in marriage. LOL - kalakku po!

Shilpa said...

Archana,
i agree with u, they are so jobless...

Archu,
Nakallaa ?
Looks like u r very interested...maybe I will go back to the PO tomorrow and give 'uncle' your number :-P

Ginkgo said...

ada...antha no aa en kitta kudu..
naa eppo lenthu kekaren
munna pinna theriyatha uncle kitta kudukariye..:P

Archana said...

Okay, exactly which part of my comment made you think I am "interested"?? Grr!

In any case uncle-ji must have spotted bahu-like qualities in you which I am sure he won't find in me. So sad as I am about it, I will have to forgo my "opportunity" :-P!

BZ said...

Err.. moral is...
Dont hide your marital status!! ;)

But seriously, too much, on the part of that _Uncle_ :)

And ROTFL, at the conv between Shilps and Arch! :)

Ginkgo said...

I smell something here...Dont I:-D

Shilpa said...

Archu,
u know me...always trying to bug u heheheh...

Now u hv a choice...shd I give ur number to 'uncleji' or shd i give it to good ol 'ginkoji' :-)
( who has a good sense of smell...)

Gingko,
I will give u her number if she agrees...

SK,
Marital status...well...I've learnt my lesson...all I wanted was to avoid a lecture and sympathy...sigh...looks like u will hv to hear nonsense either way !

Archana Bahuguna said...

Laughing hard, wanting to comment coz its fun teasing someone .. but avoiding, lest someone gets angry by getting teased too much..

OK no more of it!

Shilpa said...

Archana,
yeah its fun as long as u r not at the receiving end ;-)

Other than that....
Well folks believe or not...I've an update abt uncleji :-)
I will post abt it tomorrow after I get Archana's answer to my question
( abt giving her number) heheheh

kuttichuvaru said...

Congrats on ur 50th post!! n tat was a hilarious situation.... paavam uncleji... avarukku enna kashtamo!!

Archana said...

Adi paavi, romba santhoshamaa you are elam-vittufying my phone number :-((! And I am not even the person who got the original marriage-proposal! Ellam en neram!

Shilpa said...

Rahul, Maddsies, Kuttichuvaru,
thanx !

Archu,
Hmm...thats still not an answer :-P

ashok said...

came here by chance...very interesting blog...cheers!

Shilpa said...

Ashok,

Thanks ! The pics in ur blog were interesting too...