Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Seminars and sleep...


If you were forced to attend boring seminars every week; you know what I am talking about.

Its wednesday, which means my Dept would host a colloquium today. The speakers come from all over US and sometimes even from outside. These are famous acadamics. They get one hour to present their research. I suppose they are interesting too; I do not stay awake after the first few introduction slides as it gets too technical and nothing makes sense. Imagine a boring talk, big cold room, dim lights and a long day; what can you do except fall asleep. But, since they force us to attend the seminar, I have no choice but to be there physically. Pah, what a bore ! Its not just the students who doze off, I have seen some professors also napping( easier to detect if they snore).

Many people find different ways to stay awake. Some do their school work, read the paper, read a magazine while some just sit and go to sleep. Then, the organizers started switching off the lights. Unfortunately for them, this meant more people could sleep peacefully without being caught. The strategy has been changed to dim lights now ( can't read nor can you go to sleep without been noticed).

The only good thing about the seminar is the free food before the talk. Most of the people make a disappearing act after eating. But since they take attendence, cannot do this often.

Once in a while, the speaker is interesting. Sometimes, if he is from my field, I actually stay awake and enjoy the talk. Today, a Nobel Laureate is going to speak; so I am quite curious. My afternoon class got cancelled (yay) because the instructor wanted to speak to the Laureate. So, I already like the speaker...may more of them come and may more classes be cancelled....

p.s I guess this applies to "meetings" as well :-)

18 comments:

Archana said...

Hahahah - tell me about it! I used to work out crossword puzzles in the school paper during boring seminars.

Also used to do the disappearing act after eating food - but once got caught and that was *very* embarassing!

As for meetings - sigh! It is very impossible to nap without getting caught - so I instead *always* carry a notebook and pen along (to scribble if things get boring) and take tea/coffee breaks religiously!

Ginkgo said...

Seminars can be fun...but then cant comment on it..

because Ive only heard that statement, never been able to make one..:-)

That reminds me of the orientation we had, in my new job, sometime last month.

This new desi chap that joined, was late to the orientation by like 20 mins or so..
just came and sat behind me..
and promptly dozed of sitting.
and worse still, started snoring..
I was so amazed, never have I seen someone snore while sitting..
everybody around were shocked and amused at the same time..but no one wanted to wake him up,
finally after a few mins, he woke up himself..and surprising still..he just commented abt how sleepy he was, to the guy next to him..:-)

Dumb fella

Shilpa said...

Update after the seminar,
The room was full..I got the seat in the back ( well hidden heheh). The Speaker was quite old; used transperencies as slides; had a voice that could help an insomanic; the topic was nothing new (abt Einstein and the hubble constant);
as a result - I had a good nap...I am happy that I've discovered a good seat where I can sleep without being caught !

A student in one of the rows in front of me promptly went to sleep in less than 5 mts and started snoring.

Archana,
Thats a good idea...i will take a sudoku puzzle next time perhaps...

Gingko,
Ppl snoring in the seminars cause great amusement for others :-)

ashok said...

hmmmmmm..this post brought back nostalgic moments from my college days...

Vivhyd said...

oh.. the seminars and research presentations.. as it happens.. u r rite.. the first few.. we sit up and listen and as the day wears on .. we r like - Ok.. now enough!!. Atleast here we get the free food that comes with it.. imagine in India :).. here we can actually walk out and in.. Noone cares.. in my early days atleast here at school.. we wud attend any seminar if it gets us some food :).. some are interesting and some boring cos it wud be irrelevant to us.. u studying in texas austin or a&m?

BZ said...

I used to sleep in seminars too. And they took attendance. And no food too! :(

kuttichuvaru said...

ya.. seminars are fun... in the sense, I like to watch ppl sleeping n fallin!! wud be hilarious.... but u knw the sayin 'huntet hunted'... many a time,I hav been nappin too!!

Shilpa said...

Ashok,
College days are always fun to recollect :-)

Vivek,
The freedom is here is good; I've been on the other side too; will write a post abt it sometime; there are other universities in Texas..I study in the one that has the biggest planetarium in Texas :-)

Madsies,
Passing notes is something I used to do in middle school during classes. Scribbling ur name...hmm...its nice to doodle...

SK,
No food ? U poor thing..thats sooo unfair !

KC,
Its good to swap roles once in a while :-)

Vivhyd said...

tada.. u r rite.. there are others such as Arlington :)

Shilpa said...

Hmm...the clue was tooo easy !

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

forced to attend seminars.
that defies the whole purpose :(
Keep urself awake by asking questions..i do that. :)

Shilpa said...

Vijay,

To ask questions - u have to be awake
To be awake - u have to ask questions !

Hmmm....

BZ said...

>>To ask questions - u have to be awake
To be awake - u have to ask questions !


ROTFL!!! :)
It's a vicious circle huh!

Shilpa said...

Oh yeah... :-)

Archana Bahuguna said...

Hey, I too avoid them as much as possible unless by an interesting speaker or an interesting topic. Thankfully, they arent compulsory at my univ! Am wondering if flying paper aeroplanes is still allowed in classrooms ;-) ;-) but seminars becomes too formal a setting :-). It would be REAL fun to do that though! :-) :-)

Shilpa said...

Rahul,
I have been 'trained' in that by sitting in boring lectures :-)

Archana,
LOL..I think we can only fly imaginary planes here :-P Its a good idea though..

Ginkgo said...

Is the seminar still on or are ya sleeping still :P

Shilpa said...

Seminars followed by exams is a bad combination :-P