Sunday, March 05, 2006

Day 3 - Sangeet in the evening















We came to the mandap and noticed that everyone was patiently waiting for something to happen. I learnt that my cousin, Andy, who was supposed to conduct the Sangeet was stuck in the notorious Bangalore traffic. As most of us had never even seen a sangeet ( except for the ones that come in movies), we're quite unsure about the course of action. In the meantime, the crowd was getting restless and we quickly sent my cousin, Shreya, to sing a invocation prayer. Then, what ? My cousin, Shilpa ( yes we share the same name; she is referred to as local shilpa and I am US shilpa), suggested that we call on volunteers to sing and kill time.

A lady in front put her hand up at once; she then took out a sheet of paper from her purse. Huh...do people move around with lyrics ? She took the mike and started singing. I stood stunned when I heard her. Everyone around her were speechless. My friends and cousins stood dumbstruck. Had the character Cacofonix become a reality ? Her singing was unbearable. The kind that would make you want to burrow a hole through the ground and escape. I panicked and wanted to snatch the mike from her before everyone ran away. We could not do it as it would not look nice and had to bear the torture. Watching this scene on dvd is very funny; I can almost see the people around her cringe with each note. LOL.

Then Prasanna, suggested Antakshiri. We quickly made two teams; boys and girls. The girls team was full and there were hardly any folks in the boys team. I had to convince most of my uncles and others to join them. In the end, it was total fun. We all kept singing to our hearts content. Vikram kept singing many shaadi songs and got a lot of crowd support. Still, no sign of Andy.

Then, we decided to boogie. I had burnt a cd with fast hindi songs. All the girls started dancing. Vikram, his brother Vinayak and my cousin Karthik were the only boys on the dancefloor. Vikram's grandparents joined in between for kajre re and looked very cute. My parents also shook a leg and many aunts joined too. It was a blast. Andy, Anu and my cousin Shilpa took a lead and gave us ideas for steps. Other cousins who joined us were the other Anu, Shreya, Sushma, Poornima, Samyukta, Kritika, Andy, Ria, Kaveri, Asha and a whole bunch of small kids. This went on for a while till the elders decided it was time for dinner. We then took a few pictures.

The audience (mostly relatives) basically looked on. I wish dancing becomes a part of South Indian weddings. Its the apt thing to do in such a joyous occasion.

A few of my relatives were worried that I would be tired after so much of dancing and look exhausted the next day for the wedding. That din't happen ofcourse; this is where all the late-night clubbing helps. :-) I looked fresh and happy the next day.

8 comments:

Archana said...

They should make sangeet a part of the south-wedding festivities. It is soooo much fun :-D!

The songstress lady sang the "Ovvaru pookalumey" song from the movie "Autograph" - trust me, I love that song and have heard it a million times. But - I had GREAT difficulty figuring out which song it was. And when I did, I felt like crying to see the murder being done to it!!! The ones who hadn't heard the song before thought it was some sloka being recited - lol!

The antakshari was super fun. Each side accused the other of making up songs from time to time :-D! As for the dance, we danced (or in my case, jumped ;-)) around for more than an hour and it was just great! Vikram later joked that he simply loved it as it was the last time he would get to dance with sooo many girls as a single guy ;-)!!

Okay, now my comment is beginning to get longer than the original post. So me shall stop :-)!

Archana Bahuguna said...

Hmmm ... some proxy bloggers here ;-)
Anyways, good Shilpa you put more pics this time ... great you had fun on sangeet ... Its always fun, I agree with Archana, it should be part of all weddings ... in fact wedding is more fun on the day before specially because the fun has just begun and you can see more coming ...

Ginkgo said...

aha...
so this is what I missed...
the girls and the dancing and the fun...
mm..:-)

BZ said...

Hey nicceee! :)
Yes, I always thought Sangeet was only in Northie weddings. But this sounds lot of fun.
Everything looks like lot of fun. :)

And LOL at the singing lady. Hahah.

Shilpa said...

Archu,
I can see somebody is missing blogging :-)

Archana,
yup I agree with u...the day before the wedding is always more fun...

Madsies,
U danced in a saree...wow !! hats off to u...I can barely walk in a saree

Gingko,
yup u missed all the fun...so many single girls and so few single guys :-)

SK,
It was a lot of fun...given a chance to relive one event, I would pick the sangeet :-)) this time without asking anyone to sing heheh

Shilpa said...

Rahul,

For the kind of dancing/grinding you do; dancing in front of relatives is a not a very good idea :-P

kuttichuvaru said...

hey... nice pics... n u guys make a cute pair too....

Shilpa said...

kuttichuvaru,

thanx !