Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Day 3 - Morning - The Puja and Engagement




We reached the Mandap on time. I did not want to be one of those brides who are always late. Vikram and his family reached a few minutes earlier and we saw that many aunts and relatives had come to greet him with garland etc. The cameraman started his annoying job. Everyone finally went inside. Then, it was my turn to go inside and mandap and there was no one to greet me. Grrr. Why does the groom get so much attention anyway ?

I was asked to wait and not enter; I had a welcome party too...yipee. I was instructed not to walk fast. I waited in the dressing room while everyone went to eat breakfast. The vadiyar (purohit/pandit) was stuck in traffic and hence late. Prasanna also called saying she was stuck in traffic. The Bangalore traffic was creating havoc. Vikram called me on my cell and asked me to join him for breakfast; I explained to him that I was supposed to be fasting. He laughed and said he would eat my share too. :-( Finally, after a lot of cribbing, my mother gave up and asked me to eat. :-)

The Puja started; the vadiyar was chanting something; I was bored and sleepy. Whenever I would yawn, the cameraman would be capturing the moment; I guess he had a lot of editing to do. People took pity on me and would come and talk to me; I was so happy when that happened as I was really bored. Puja went on for an hour; Prasanna finally reached. Then, I was given a saree to change into before the engagement.

I simply loved this saree. It was the ONLY kancheepuram silk saree that I bought. It was blue with orange border and had embriodary. I wore fashion jewellery with it. Seetha mami and Prasanna helped me in wearing the saree; we asked the rest not to interfere.

We were asked to hurry up as the groom was ready. The groom had to just wear normal clothes, it hardly takes time !! Wearing a saree on the other hand is a whole new story. I think they should allocate a lot of time for that and not just hurry the bride.

Then, we exchanged rings. Time for some pictures. Then came the namaskarams. It is hard to do it in a saree. It was past lunch time by the time all this ended.

8 comments:

Krish said...

You both are (fill in the blanks)!

Hint: An old tag line for Wills :-)

Shilpa said...

Thennavan,

In response I would like to say ----
( fill in the blanks) !

Hint: It is a song by Dido which was also used by Eminem in one of his songs :-)

Archana Bahuguna said...

The saree you are wearing IS really beautiful. You both look good together.

BZ said...

Shilpa! So sweet :)

Btw, second picture... how come you guys look the same height? ;)

Awesome saree.


>>I was instructed not to walk fast.

LOL! :) Were you able to walk fast though? I was barely able to walk ;) With the fake hair and flowers, my head was bending back.

Wow! I will check your blog daily for updates.

Shilpa said...

Archana,

Thanks !

SK,
Ahhh...smart girl !
I thought nobody would notice :-)
In the close-up, I simply stood on a palakai (low stool)..and I think I even tip-toed to look taller....
hehehhe

Abt walking...I could walk easily but could not move my head freely...

rads said...

Shilpa,
That's a nice little narration you are taking us on. Weddings are as fun as they are crazy. Am glad yours was fun-filled.
Btw, thanks for adding me on your site, I have too. :-)

Archana said...

Ah, the saree was really verrry pretty :-). Have you brought it with you?

Shilpa said...

Madsies,
I had a hard time walking the next day during the actual wedding ceremony... my head was heavier and it took an effort to lift my head...and I always thought brides were that way cos they felt shy...hahaha...now i know the secret :-)

Rads,
I am having fun narrating it too...

Archana,
No I din't bring it.
a) where can I wear it
b) i still dont know to wear a saree hehehe