Thursday, March 02, 2006

So dark the con of man ... The quest !


No, this is not about my wedding.

I simply loved reading Dan Brown's Da Vinci code and its prequel, Angels and Demons. After reading the book, I wanted to go to Louvre and trace all other places mentioned in the book. I am looking forward to the movie which will release this May. I wanted to watch the trailer yesterday and while looking for it on google, I came across something very interesting, the webquest.

Did you know that the book cover holds a puzzle ? I was amazed when I learned this and ofcourse jumped right into the quest. The clues lead you to the title of Dan's next novel. I was in the middle of the solving the clues when my friend K came to see me and I convinced her to join me in the quest. So, instead of doing my school work, I was busy solving the clues till late last night. We were dancing with joy after solving it. Then I cracked the second puzzle today morning as well.

a) Quest 1 - Uncover the code
This is what you need to have before attempting:

1. The hard-bound book and the cover ( the paperback editions or desi versions will not have it)
2. Internet
3. Pen and paper to write down and solve clues

Beg, borrow or buy the book !!!

To uncover the code and play the game, go here

b) Quest 2 - Web quest

This does not require the book cover. What you do need are

1. The book ( any version or you can even manage if you have read the book)
2. Internet
3. Pen and paper
4. Telephone

Ready ?
To solve the quest, go here

The clues spiral you into a hunt just like the book and is very exciting. Solving the codes are frustating as well ( maybe reading his book digital fortress helps - but I could manage without it). There are many discussion forums , so looking for the solutions on google will deprive you of the joy of solving the puzzle. I want to discuss the clues and other facts about the quest. But I will do it next week, giving everybody the weekend to work on the quest (if you haven't done so already).

Solve riddles...crack codes...have fun !!!

p.s 13-3-2-21-1-1-8-5
O, Draconian devil!
Oh, lame saint!


14 comments:

rads said...

Hey, that was interesting about the book. I didn't have the time to start it and then the book was talked about so much that I didn't feel like it afterwards. I guess I should make time, now with all these clues popping up.
Thanks!

Shilpa said...

Rads,
Please do read the book. Its as good as they say it is.
:-)

kuttichuvaru said...

tat was one gr8 novel tat I hav read.... havnt read Angels n Demons yet... wish I read it soon.... I am lookin fwd to the movie too.... the trailer was a gr8 visual representation of the movie...

rads said...

Will do shilpa, especially considering it's in my bookcase!
@madsies - yea, that will be a first :p

Shilpa said...

kuttichuvaru,
thanks for dropping by...

Madsies,
hope u find time for reading it !

Rads,
it's in ur bookcase ? now all u hv to do is reach for it !!

Archana Bahuguna said...

I will wait to read your next blog and then look into those books :-) and enjoy nodding happily ... too lazy :-D

BZ said...

Hey Shilpa,
Will definitely try breaking the code :)
And yes I loved the book, one of the bools, I could not put down in the night and ended up reading through the night. :)

I returned the book after reading it.

Hope the movie is good, Tom Hanks right.

Shilpa said...

Archana,
Too lazy to read a book ? Hmm...thats so not like me..in fact reading a book is my biggest excuse to avoid work :-)

SK,
yeah it has tom hanks. hope it is as good as the book. generally the movie adaptation are not as good as the books.
pls go on the quest; i am waiting to discuss it with someone. u can try the second puzzle as it does not require the book.

Archana Bahuguna said...

No No ... Not to read the book ... I love reading books :-) too lazy to solve the puzzle all hidden here and there :-) wouldnt mind solving a sudoku which is all at one place :-)

Shilpa said...

Archana,
U like sudoku ? Me too !!! I got quite addicted to it while I was in India this time...

Shilpa said...

FYI, there is a copy of the cover and related material in the same link that I've mentioned...

has anybody solved the quest ?

ashok said...

new to ur blog...good one..cheers

ashok said...

and whats with the blog title? Tintin fan?? :)

Shilpa said...

Ashok,
Yeah I am a big Tintin fan and a bigger fan of capt. Haddock