Thursday, March 09, 2006

Part 2 of Uncleji 's antics

Most of us had a good time LOL over the PO Uncle's antics yesterday. Amazingly the story did NOT end with the encounter at the PO.

I was talking to my cousin, K on my cell a little after 9pm yesterday night ( the incident occured in the afternoon). Then, my roommate came and gave me the land-line saying I had a call. ?? No one called me on the landline other than credit-card folks and tele-marketers; and so I never picked the land-line. She said it sounded like some desi uncle ( what ?). I said hello and lo it was good ol uncleji from the PO. I was stunned. These are one of those few rare occasions when I am completely speechless.

He was like how are you. I told him that I was on another call to India. He assumed I was talking to my parents and said ' please tell them about this matter'. Grrrr. I said ok and was ready to hang-up when his wife came over the line. She said 'please take down our number and call us' ( like I was going to do that). She hung up leaving me surprised again.

How on earth did they get my number ? Uncleji could have taken down my address from the packages that I mailed and could have asked for my number ( can this be considered identity theft? ). Or a simpler solution would be to find my number in the student pages of my school. Either way, it was a lot of trouble to get my number !!! How desperate are they ?

How am I going to wiggle out of this situation ? How do I get rid of them ? What story should I fabricate now ? I did not want to avoid their calls as then they might keep persisting and annoy me more. A better idea would be to tell them something so that they do not call back. I was thinking of various ideas and here are some of them

a) Tell them that I was engaged and clearly planned to marry that person. Perhaps I should explain this to auntyji as the uncle clearly overlooked the same statement and seemed to think his son was great enough for me to 're-consider'. Grrr.

b) Next time they called, I could clearly shock them. Maybe I should say that I am an alcoholic, smoke, live in the clubs, cannot cook and a lot of other awful things.
( But what if they say their son was the same ?)

c) I could ask one of my American friends to 'act' for a while and take them to the PO.
I could introduce him and say I was living-in with him. Watching Uncleji's expression might be worthwhile....but again...what if he says ' no problem beta, my son was also living in with someone'.

d) I could goto the PO dressed in Kallu style and say ' wassup dawwg'

I was having fun thinking of ideas and laughing over it when I got a call again. Oh No !!!! It was around 10:15pm ( isn't that a wee bit too late to call) and it was Auntyji. They must be really desperate to pursue like this !!!

Aunty: Beta, I thought I would call you instead of waiting for your call you may hesitate to talk about this subject.
Me: ( what the heck, how can they assume something like that, me even more annoyed)
Aunty, I am not sure what you have on your mind; and I think uncle did NOT understand what I said ( My tone was rude and irritated). I am already engaged and plan to get married to him this summer ( There, I said it hehehe).

Aunty: (Surprised) Oh; Uncle did not understand it !! Anyway beta congratulations.
Me: ( relieved) Thank you

Aunty: You know, we are looking for a match for our eldest son. If you come across anyone, please let me know...
Me: ok. Good Night.

Hung up. Phew. I hope that is the last of it !!!

Any takers for this rather interesting proposal ? ;-)

P.S. I am also curious to see if 'uncleji' has tampered with my mails; I would not be surprised if he inserted a letter to my friend and ask them to recommend his son..maybe he might have put a photograph as well...hmm...curious...very curious....
Archu, Rahul and Prasanna...only you guys can answer the question as the mails were for u :-)

11 comments:

Archana said...

Now I can barely wait for my card to arrive :-)... will let you know if it has any special contents..lol!

BZ said...

Heyyyy u Rahul, Prasanna, all old friends?? No wonder :)

Its a little scary that the 'uncle' found your phone number and called you.!

While thinking of all possibilities, you could have just told them, u r married :--) I guess then they wouldnt have pressed so much.
Some oldies!! :)

Shilpa said...

Archana,
Yeah I am waiting for it to reach u too...hehehe

SK,
Archu, Prasanna and I are childhood friends...Rahul and I r friends from grad school :-)

yeah it is very creepy to think abt how he got the number; and how could I tell him i was married when i told him in the afternoon that I was not...:-)

well I learnt my lesson...now even if a total stranger asks me if I am married..I will say yes !

Prasanna said...

My ex boss displays her Mangalsutra as if it is some sort of a identity card...I mean it is always hanging out...I intially thought it was damn weird and use to wonder why she use to do this...now I am getting the idea

Shilpa, do u wanna try this? ;)

kuttichuvaru said...

man, how desperate can they be?? or maybe they were so impressed by you!! tats the only other way I can think abt it!!

Shilpa said...

Prasanna,
I don't want to display the mangalsutra...who knows..it may attract theives (with my luck thats quite possible).

Rahul,
I can see someone is happily having fun at my cost.. :-)

Madsies,
I generally run into all the weirdos.. :-(

Kuttichuvaru,
I think he was desperate :-)

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

first timer here..nice blog..read ur posts detailing the marr ceremony..
were really good..
really enjoyed reading it :)

rads said...

aww, poor uncle. He must be really desperate to find a wife to take "care" of his son. Nice thought process.. 'ssup dawg, yo man :-)

Shilpa said...

Vijay,
Thanks for dropping by...the wedding narration will be continued soon..I just got bored of writing abt it :-)

Rads,
I would not consider that uncle pitiable in any way :-P
...a little insane perhaps but not a sad case

Archana said...

Oi Shilpa, I got your package and it did not have "special" stuff (other than the special stuff for me :-D) in it...guess uncle-ji had to accept defeat at some point...lol!

Shilpa said...

Archu,

Enzoi...as long he dint add or remove things from it...I am happy :-)